• Register Today It's free!

cat converter question

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I think I have narrowed down my car problem to a really bad misfire which ended up destroying my cats. I am about to address the misfire issue but after searching through this site I am having issues with the cats. I read on here that 2nd gens have 3 or 4 catalytic converters. My issues is that I am only counting 2 when I look under my truck. I have the 4.0 OHV and looked and saw the downpipes coming from the manifolds and there does not seem to be cats there. Are there suppose to be? Am I just blind, or are they a different shape/don't look like cats on the downpipes??? I see the two welded together in line, but those are the only 2 I can see. There are O2 sensors on each downlpipe and 1 sensor at the back after the two welded cats. Any info would be appreciated on if it is correct that my car only has 2 cats for the 96 4.0 OHV. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Saw the thread--That does not answer my question. It is telling me that there are 3 or 4 on a 97, there are not on mine. There are just downpipes and the two. Is this special for 96 model year.
If you look at post 7 with the pictures the one with the downpipes shows cats. Mine does not have it

i have a 96 4.0 just looked a few minutes ago thinkin i may have a cat problem. mine only had 2 as well. right after the Y pipe nothing between the exhaust manifold and the end of the Y pipe.

I have seen various configurations...

On the OHV engines I have heard and seen either none or the 2 small convertors in the downpipe from the exhaust manifolds...I can't find any particularly accurate information when Ford changed from no convertors in the downpipe to 2 in the downpipes...98's seem to be where I have seen more likely than not the presence of the smaller cats...

And since I don't have the need to remove a part from my truck that will not change the power output I frankly stopped looking when I had a new downpipe made up with new Thunderbolt spin cast convetors...

i have a 96 4.0 v-6 mine has none in the down pipe but two after the y-pipe. but i think that the v-8 is different. but not sure

Back