• Register Today It's free!

Cat family question

JPC

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Myers, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 5.0 AWD
On my 97 X there are 2 cats just before the three bolt, two pipe flange that connects the muffler system to the front pipe assy.. These are behind the first two cats (how many do they need?) on the downtubes from the headers. There are flanges that connect them to the downtubes just behind the first two, and they are removable. My question is: are there any detremental effects from removing them and just piping straight through to the muffler? This would leave the first two cats on line but get rid of the last two. I've heard that if you open up the exhaust too much, restriction wise, you can loose torque on an otherwise stock engine. The only other mods are a Gibson cat back and K&N cone filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If anything leave the last 2, they're the main ones. However, the Ford cats flow very well unless they're clogged and you probably won't gain much (except some more pollution) by removing just the pre-heaters.

And yes, the Explorer needs some exhaust restriction to maintain low end torque.

My advice, if you do anything with the cats, is to remove all 4 and replace them with 2 parallel aftermarket hi-flo units.

Thanks for the reply Alec, I thought those were the main cats, so I guess I'll leave the "cat family" under the truck intact.:thumbsup:

I just noticed you have the 5.0 (as opposed to the OHV or SOHC 6s). You don't have to worry as much about maintaining some exhaust restriction with the 8 but again, unless they're clogged there's nothing to fuss about.

I thought the sohc 97's had 2 cats? are the sports different ?

Originally posted by TimestandStil77
I thought the sohc 97's had 2 cats? are the sports different ?

Both my X's have V8s (2 preheaters and 2 cats)

I think OHVs all had 2, and some SOHCs had 2. But most SOHCs and all the 5.0s had 4.

Back