Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
Drifting, the latest motorsports import from Japan, balances throttle control and steering to hang the cars’ tail out on a tire-smoking, four-wheel drift.

Drifting is the latest import from Japan, but it’s not a car or a truck. Drifting is a type of racing, and it’s arguably the most exciting form of motorsports around.

Ford Racing Performance Parts continues to be in on the action, entering its second season in drifting competition with driver Ken Gushi behind the wheel of a 2006 Mustang GT. And with the recent opening of "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" in theaters across the country, the sport is poised to explode in popularity. So what is drifting all about?

The name comes from the actual technique that is employed to make a car "drift" around the racecourse. To observers, drifting appears as if the rear end of the car is trying to swap ends with the front. The goal is for the driver to balance steering and throttle to control the car’s drift and direction in a four-wheeled slide.

Although racing drivers have been using controlled drifts as a technique since the 1930s, drifting as its own form of motorsport began in Japan more than 20 years ago. Drifting in the United States officially began in 1996 in California and has become extremely popular with younger fans here and in Europe and Australia.

Today, drifting is an organized competition, with drivers piloting rear-wheel-drive cars to see who can keep sliding sideways the longest. Winners in drifting competitions are judged on the angle, line, speed and show factor of the drift.

"Angle" is the angle the car takes around the track; the more the rear end hangs out, the better. "Line" refers to taking the correct line around the track and is usually determined beforehand by the judges. "Speed" consists of the car’s speed entering, going through and exiting a turn. "Show factor" actually is judged by a variety of factors, such as the amount of tire smoke, closeness of the car to the wall and reaction of the crowd.

Gushi’s Ford Racing Mustang, sponsored by Toyo Tires and the Gushi Auto team, competes in the Need for Speed Formula D (for "drift") Championship, and looks to improve on the driver’s third-place finish in 2005. The 2006 Mustang GT Toyo Tires/Ford Racing drift car is powered by a 600-horsepower, supercharged, 4.6-liter V-8 from the Ford Racing Performance Parts crate-engine catalog. The engine teams up with a T-56 six-speed transmission, which is also available in the catalog.

"Rear-wheel drive and a powerful V-8 make the Mustang a great car for competing in drifting events," says Andy Slankard, engineering supervisor, Ford Racing.

At the most recent Formula D competition — June 10 at Soldier Field in Chicago — Gushi drove the 2006 Mustang GT drift car to a sixth-place finish.

"There are four more events, and we are still in a position to do well," says Slankard. "We continue to dial in the car, and we are confident we’ll be on the podium at the finals in Irwindale, California, in October."

Attachments

• Mustang_1.jpg
    Mustang_1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 317

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aint my style but it is pretty interesting to watch. Nice to see ford taking on the foreign manufactures too. I aint into ricers but damn that mustang looks pretty freakin sweet!

I remember back in 99. I was back in Jr. High (thats right im a young'in), my friends brother draged us out at 3 in the morning up to highway 9. It's a windy little road in the Santa Cruz mountains. We see a few people pulled off to the side of the road, and we soon follow suit. After about 15 minutes we hear a ridiculous exhaust note. We're standing at the last U turn before the summit. An old school supra sails sideways around the turn followed by an EVO 5 (the only one I have ever seen ever) and a Trueno. The combination of smoke and glowing rotors has been with me ever since. And I'm not ashamed to say I am subscribed to Import Tuner.

after i went to see the movie tokyo drift(the 3rd fast and furious) i had to give it a try in my explorer, but only managed to fishtail, then spin a 180 to a stop, its alot harded in a top heavy, low powered, automatic suv

haha

drifting in a lifted X? Wow, your lucky to still be alive.

95offroadx said:
after i went to see the movie tokyo drift(the 3rd fast and furious) i had to give it a try in my explorer, but only managed to fishtail, then spin a 180 to a stop, its alot harded in a top heavy, low powered, automatic suv

haha

haha...hell i did that today around a corner after it rained...gotta love having RWD. Key is to feather the throttle, and know what the hell your doing.

Back