• Register Today It's free!

CB radio and PA system

xj220

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT V8
I've been thinking about installing a CB radio and external speaker (PA system) on my X for offroading (and general fun). I've done some searching on the topic, but haven't been able to find a whole lot. It seems pretty easy to do. Am I right in saying that all I need is a CB radio, antenna and external speaker? How long of an install would this be and do I need a license for a CB? Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No license needed anymore. Install should be pretty easy..power, ant and the external speaker. Oviously check that the CB has the PA function, many new ones do not.

its an easy install. i did it on mine...and as purple said check for a pa function.

just hook up the red and black power from the CB to the red and black on the back of the cigarette lighter (splice em in), then mount the cb where you want it. for the speaker you solder a plug (headphone style) to one end of some speaker wire, then plug it in. run the other side thru the firewall and thru the engine compartment to where you have the speaker mounted on the outside.

as far as the antenna goes, it depends on weather you want a permanent one or one to just stick on the top as needed. i say maybe 2 hours worth of work.

Alright, sounds good. Are there any foldable antennas because I park in a public garage and it'd be hassle to take down and reattach the antenna.

i have a bracket on my tail light that i made and it is only like a foot taller than the roof. pm me for pics and details if you want em.

I just got a cheap PA system from jegs.com and all it was was a control unit, microphone and speaker. Hook the control unit to power and ground it, run the speaker wire to the speaker and your done. Easy. Fun in college parking lots!

Oh yeah? Do you have a part number or any more details I can use to search? The thing is, I'd like to have a CB radio for when I go offroading anyways, but this might be good for now.

i've got a pa/cb on my X, just be carefull with the fuzz. they wont be to stoked but cant really do anything in cali. not against the law, just more of a nuisance and if they got nothing to do, you're gonna be talking with them for a couple of minutes.

Afboy, can you post up a link. I'm REALLY wanting something louder than the one I've got now. (Same with my friends)

I've got the PA mounted under in the spare tire area, its good because its hidden. I would put it on the roof rack, except up there its a little too obvious for me...

Anyway, I love the PA and I havn't had any troubles with the police yet. I am not sure about if they are legal, or how loud they can be, ect. Anyway, have to say I love that feature and I love using it while driving to yell at other drivers (aka, the reason I have it hidden)

I have a loudspeaker I picked up for 30 bucks, and I have tested that it can be heard for over about mile in a straght shot.

Back