CCR2001 UPDATED! | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CCR2001 UPDATED!

hey Gerald that would be great. Let me know how much. No I don't snore. I'm in the chat right now come and chat and we can work it all out. If not just email me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rockymtnhi: We're all staying at the Quality Inn, not the Sheraton Four Points; though you'll be right next door. :) You could still try to get a room at the Quality Inn - it's $60/night for our group. A link to their info (phone #, etc.) can be found on the CCR2001 Itinerary page.

If you do choose to call, ask for Anna and mention the Ford Explorer Off-Road Group...

Sold - Out

I called them and they have NO rooms left for the weekend , Thats alright we'll live , our room next door was only $67 , so we can't complain . Lookin' forward to meeting you all . BTW how long is the run on Mon. ?

All right evryone thanks to Gerald for being so kind. He has let me share a room with Him, I will be there Saturday morning at about 6-7 am. I will stay saturday night and maybe sunday night. I can't wait to meet everyone and run my first SE run.

anyone still need a roommate? I now have an open queen size bed. Long story short, Kristina won't be attending this run.

C'mon Matt, we want the long story...

What did you do to piss her off???
I am astounded at the possibility that Matt may have done or said something to upset a member of the opposite sex.
Details...

rockymtnhi: bummer about the room, would've liked to have you with the rest of us at the Quality Inn, oh well... As for the runs on Monday, it should take us until at least early afternoon do the stocker runs. As for Holy Cross, or whatever the Big Dawgs choose to run, I have no idea.

mattadams: bummer about Kristina man! Oh well, I guess we'll all be showing hug-withdrawal symptoms... ;)

See everyone soon! :bounce:

hey now, this time it wasn't my fault (at least I don't think it was) so those lesbian karaoke singers have got me all to themselves this weekend, ha ha ha.

Well this will be my last post, until after CCR2001 we will be following Heath and maybe more from Denver up to Silverthorn, I believe that we will be leaving around 10:00 am tommorow morning Heath can give those details. WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
HHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
it is finally here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Well nuts

We worked real hard, but alas, we've run out of time.
I was REALLLLLLY hoping to get my home-made rock rails done for the trip. But my welder friend just called. We were cutting it close already, but he got called into a staff meeting that will go all day. That means the rails would be done by about Saturday afternoon instead of Friday. :(

Oh well. I'm still coming, I'll just have to hope Radical Hill and Wheeler Lake are kind to my rocker panels. :)rolleyes: Yeah. Right.)

Chris Woodley:
Going to have to send my regrets on this run. I was going to be there only for a day anyway, no hotel room and dinner.

Son is coming down from UNC Saturday and his vehicle needs work.

Enjoy the run, great job and look forward to seeing the pictures.

Cpousnr
99 Ranger XLT

Bad news....

I was not able to get tow hooks installed on the front, tried to but ran out of time...is that ok?

Thanks.

Don't worry about it... I've only been stuck once where the front tow hook would have made a bit of difference... And it really wasn't that much of a difference...

I'm front hookless and I'm going...

Awesome, I didn't know how stringent you guys were on that one, glad to see the rules can be bent after all...

Well, Jen and I have arrived at the Quality Inn in Silverthorne - it's quite nice! I have some further details on how to get to the hotel. Take exit #205 from I-70 and head North. Take a right at the first light - Rainbow Drive. You'll then come to a "V" in the road, stay right and continue up a hill. The Quality Inn will be in front of you shortly.

We had no problems checking in, just be sure you're getting the "Serious Explorations" rate of $59.95/night when you do so.

More info regarding the meeting place, the street the City Market is on is Dillon Dam Road. Again, there's a Starbucks Coffee visible from US Hwy 60 as you approach - use that as your landmark...

TwoToneFordExpl: don't worry about a lot of the things on the equipment list, they're more of guidelines than must-haves. Still, some things are strongly encouraged like a CB radio, water and first aid kit.

Looking forward to seeing everyone up here - 1 day to trail running!!! :bounce:

Jared, dont worry about a tow hook in front. If you are on the stock run, I always have a chain that hooks perfectly in the frame of my 91 xplor (except I never use it, i have a front tow point)

Looks like I will be arriving at the hotel between 10 and midnight. I am debating to go through Denver to I70 or getting off at Co Springs coming from I25 North. I would be in Denver around 9-10 Friday night, what would the traffic be like? Thanks.

I'm off I have to pick upi SHandell and Brendan and we will be on the road see everyone or most everyone tommorow. Heath I will call tonight and figure up our meeting time and place..

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SORRY i JUST HAD TO DO THAT!!!

Jared the equipment rules can be bent but remember it is your vehicle and those rules were put there for a reason and for your protection. Let's imagine that you are in the middle of a group of a dozen vehicles with twenty or more people and you get stuck in a situation where the only out is a tow forward. Yes that probably won't happen but then again maybe it will. In that case oh-oh you're not set up for that tow.

Now you will be in the position of either stopping a run that over a dozen people have come to enjoy - some of them (like me) will have driven a thousand miles to get there to participate and will have spent several hundred dollars on the trip - or you can take the strap anyway so that the group can continue.

You'll then face the decision to take the strap on a front axle or other expensive part that shouldn't have a couple tons force pulled on it. Or you can decide to not risk taking several thousand dollars of damage and so force the group to spend a heckuva long time figuring out how to get you out of your mess. If that is your plan then you should also practice looking at all of the rest of us to apologize for screwing up our long-planned vacation that we drove halfway across the country to get to and spent several hundred dollars each just to get there, all because you didn't bother to figure out how to attach a ten dollar tow hook or D Ring on your vehicle.

For another example, how important is a CB? Do we REALLY need one? At Truckhaven two years ago Wendy got lost and separated from the group. Lost people die out there. Can some of us really be so disinterested in acquiring the means to talk to the rest of us that we are willing to die when a $40 CB can save our very life? Besides, like the others have mentioned, it's just plain fun to have one and participate in all of the trail talk. On one run in Texas in heavy woods we got separated from several J**pers on their first run who came ill-prepared and we lost two hours of an afternoon run hunting for them when they took one wrong turn and ended up only a couple hundred yards away. If any one of them had a CB, we would have found them in five minutes. Instead the entire afternoon was ruined because we couldn't leave them and we couldn't find them.

The Colorado Contingent has done a lot of work for this event, scheduling several scenic runs for our group; some are multiple trails dependent on finishing each one in a planned amount of time. Do you want to take the chance that your ill-prepardness will hold up a trail for an extra hour or two and possibly negate the ability to go to the next one because now it is too late and too much time passed taking care of you because you are the one person who didn't take the trouble to prepare like all the rest of us did?

We are a caring group of quality people here. If you get in trouble you will not be left stranded by any of us. So you can come buck-naked if you want to and you will still make it. If something does happen to you, I and everyone else will be right there to help take care of you. But I'll leave it to your conscience as to how you'll explain to me that since you didn't bother to figure out how to fit a ten dollar tow point on your vehicle, you just screwed up my chance at making all the trails I had planned to go to on this trip and used several days vacation up for and spent hundreds of dollars and a thousand miles travel to get there to do, because we have to spend all this excess extra time saving your ill-prepared butt out of the $10 stuck you got yourself in.

Sheesh, this subject comes up at every major run event. Those items on the trail equipment list were NOT casually and flippantly compiled but were the result of EXTENSIVE correspondence and feedback from dozens of experienced fourwheelers on this site. All I did was compile the information and write the article. If something is on that list, it is there for a reason.

I am sorry if any excess "attitude" came up in my post but this comes up every single time and I have had several trips ruined simply because of unprepardness. This is supposed to be fun, and it really doesn't take much to make sure that happens.

I really don't understand why so many balk at the idea of coming prepared. I mean, get real people.... I go snow skiing, and discussions about "should I bring warm clothing and will you loan me some if I don't bring any thermal underwear" never seem to come up; or "gee can I come scuba diving with you; I don't have a tank so it's okay if you share yours with me, right?" never seem to enter into the discussions. But just try to plan a fourwheeling trip and the same silly type of thought process crops up every single time :rolleyes:.

I want to end this post by backing off a little and assuring you that on a stock run, I am confident that the trails will be easy enough that you can be helped out of any foreseeable situation. So I am confident that you will probably be fine for this run, staying on those trails. What I am reacting to is the attitude that it is okay to come illprepared while everyone else took the trouble to and depend on them to bail oneself out at their expense. Once you decide to participate on more difficult runs that is not an acceptable attitude to take in my opinion.

I am sure you will have a great time and get bit by the bug, and then you'll have to figure out how to really do all this stuff and come prepared to do it. :) I'll enjoy meeting you and seeing the look dawn on your face after you've run with us and gotten bit by the bug and know that I'll see you in Moab next year ready to rock and roll with everything you need to do it right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok slight correction, Kristina will be arriving late Saturday night and staying sunday and monday morning, so in other words I will have room for one on Friday night if anyone needs it, but otherwise she'll be with me Saturday and Sunday nights.
Gerald, while I agree that the list was compiled for a reason and it is important that people do what they can to follow these, I think a stocker without tow hooks is not a big deal, as long as they stick to trails that they can handle. While I wouldn't recommend doing any hard-core trails without tow hooks, most of the stock trails he should be fine with. If nothing else we can wrap the tow strap around the frame near the front bumper, and risk rubbing it along the bumper and possible denting the front bumper. I also have a d-ring that we may be able to use in a pitch to act as a tow hook should it be needed.

Back