Wanted - CD changer jammed with discs, need new one. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted CD changer jammed with discs, need new one.

Parts or services wanted

Huskerbob

Reaction score
City, State
Concord, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
New to the forum here. Just bought a sweet 2003 Explorer, with a6 disc changer, factory. It would not load or eject a disc so I pulled the whole unit out of the dash and figured out that a small spiral elevating screw in the changer is broken off so not repairable in my estimation.

Does anyone have a 6 cd changer that they no longer want? I don't need the radio part just the changer.

Other than that little hickup this is a very nice Explorer. My 3rd one and the best.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New to the forum here. Just bought a sweet 2003 Explorer, with a6 disc changer, factory. It would not load or eject a disc so I pulled the whole unit out of the dash and figured out that a small spiral elevating screw in the changer is broken off so not repairable in my estimation.

Does anyone have a 6 cd changer that they no longer want? I don't need the radio part just the changer.

Other than that little hickup this is a very nice Explorer. My 3rd one and the best.

I've got the factory single disk deck from my '03. If you can't find a 6 disk one.

CD changer

Thanks wheelin, I'll keep that in mind.

figured out that a small spiral elevating screw in the changer is broken off so not repairable in my estimation.

Mine did the same thing, i was able to push it back on, with a little super glue.
that held but it still jammed like couple of days later. You can get the CD unit fixed for $120 or so. Rive Electronics.

CD changer failure

Thanks jrford, I can't even see where that little deal goes. Not sure that the failure didn't mess up other parts as well. The only time we use the dang thing is on road trips for books on CD. Otherwise it's AM radio. Geez, I'm old! :D

underside of the radio along the left side look for a round hole, you should see a chrome shaft same size as the screw. I think its a friction fit so that the when it does jam is 'walks' off.
Take a pic if you can. . .

I'm in the same boat as mine jammed a few months ago. I don't listen to much music, but it does suck not having it work. I may attempt to repair it, but will most likely buy a touchscreen headunit to replace it.

touch screen head unit

Please post a link to the touchscreen head unit if you have it. I may consider going that route. Will the steering wheel controls work with that? Thanks.

Jammed CD changer

underside of the radio along the left side look for a round hole, you should see a chrome shaft same size as the screw. I think its a friction fit so that the when it does jam is 'walks' off.

I'll take a look when I get home and see if I can locate the correct spot. Photo if possible too.

if you going to try and fix, these pics might help?
in these you can see how the top tray jumped off the alignment spindle.
the gear thing is on a motor if you take the top off you can sorta see it, the dime size hole would be on the other side.

Attachments

• PC190180sm.jpg
    PC190180sm.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 498
  • PC190187sm.jpg
    PC190187sm.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 470
  • PC190183sm.jpg
    PC190183sm.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 459

CD changer failure

Yep, I found the little hole and the steel spindle. I can see the bevel gear in there as well. I pushed the helical gear back in and threaded it to the bottom. It's not much of a friction fit if that's what it is. I'm going to bond the gear to the shaft and see if that works. I've got nothing much to lose at this point.

The forum won't let me post attachments yet.

There was one for sale on Craigslist for WEEKS here in Seattle for $50. I was going to find it for you, and offer to mail it to you if you wanted to purchase it but it is gone... :( If it pops up again do you want me to let you know?

EDIT: I am fairly certain this is the same one... http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pts/3160679375.html

I figure if you email him and offer a lower price he might go for it. Send me a PM if you want to arrange getting it shipped out to you.

Thanks jghake, I got the little gear back in and I'm going to give it a try and see if it works. Maybe one disc at a time. I can handle that.

Keep us posted on weather it works or not Bob... I have the same prob with mine... I'll try to fix it once for sure... and yes I'll take pix's... Cheers....

I'll know this weekend if it works. I have a bonding agent that works for HDPE plastic,where super glue will not. It bonds metal to HDPE as well as HDPE to itself.

watch out on the used ones, they might arrive broken. Most shippers don't know how to put it in ship mode and the shipping bracket is long gone. What this does is puts the trays in the lowest position and the bracket holds them in place when its tipped upside down. In pic 2 above, left front corner you can see a very small spring which is what holds the trays together. Pic 3 above you can see where one of the trays jumped off causing the jam.
In this pic the slots is where the bracket mounts which is thrown away at the factory. You can maybe make one?

Attachments

• PC190184sm.jpg
    PC190184sm.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 464

Thanks jrford, I can't even see where that little deal goes. Not sure that the failure didn't mess up other parts as well. The only time we use the dang thing is on road trips for books on CD. Otherwise it's AM radio. Geez, I'm old! :D

AM radio is still being broadcast?? hehe sorry, couldn't resist. I gave up on AM radio as soon as I could afford a car that had... AM/FM stereo from the FACTORY!! (Yea, I'm old to.. ;) )

Well, this might not answer your question directly. And, I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing, but... the factory units in many/most vehicles are a JOKE! For the money you could spend on a USED replacement, you can get a really good aftermarket unit, that works better.

I installed a Pioneer Premier single CD player with a 6 disk changer that I installed under the rear seat. Sixteen bands of EQ, and sub output. The in-dash was $350, and the changer was $150. This unit also has available, a steering wheel control adapter kit! Now, my unit was discontinued, but there are a couple of units that would fit the bill, for the same, or less money.

Yea, ok, it's more than a used factory HU. Key word, USED! Electronics just do NOT last a long time, in cars, Extreme heat, and cold take their toll. But, IMHO, you would be much better off with a new aftermarket unit.

Well if my repaired unit works I'll be happy. Not a big fan of aftermarket stuff especially radios etc. I think they junk up the look that those Ford engineers worked so hard to perfect. I've seen some nice ones but then again I've seen some that look like a**.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CD changer failure

Here is the photo of where the little plastic gear goes. Just in case you have the same problem. It fell off and was rattling around in the radio portion below the changer. It's the white deal centered in the photo. It looks like it's just a press fit but not very tight. I bonded it so it won't fall off. Don't know if it works yet. This weekend. :D

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 457

Back