CEL Code Reading Help! VIDEO INSIDE! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CEL Code Reading Help! VIDEO INSIDE!

coheed

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4x4 v6
Hey everyone, I'm trying to read my CEL codes, and either I'm an idiot, or I just can't get the hang of this yet.

Can someone watch this video and decipher my codes out for me? I'm having trouble and I seem to always get lost!

Thanks in advance for any help.

This is a Key On Engine Off test, btw.

[GOOGLEVIDEO]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8658337357508062614&hl=en[/GOOGLEVIDEO]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought you couldn't use the check engine light to read codes?

I thought you had to use either a voltmeter, test light, or some kinda code reader under the hood?

I see code 327, then stored codes 86, 327 and 332

To read it.. first set of flashes is the solenoid tests (you can normally hear clicking).. then the code from the test, then pause 1, pause 1, pause then stored codes which end up repeating..

Its hard to watch the video and write the codes.. which is why I like my code reader, it beeps the codes so I don't have to watch the light.

EDIT: I just noticed I wrote a 2 digit code there.. all the codes should be the same size.. I'll rewatch it in a bit to get the right stored codes.. but 327 is correct (EGR solenoid issue)

~Mark

thats how ive always read my codes.. just jumped pins in the connector, then went inside and watched the light show. we tore down an actron display at work and there was a model EEC-IV reader that was gonna get trashed, so i rescued it. yay. freebie!

...It looks like a 186=Injector Pulse-width higher than expected..:dunno:

Ok... I downloaded the video from google so I could watch it locally (It kept pausing for some reason.. makes for hard code reading)... but it looks like I was seeing what I thought I was seeing.

Here is what I see...
self test...

pause 1

Bolded #'s are the codes... Italic codes are stored memory codes.. rest are thing between codes...

Aparently you can get 2 and 3 digit memory codes.. I just never saw that before but I know there is an 86 in the memory codes.

EDIT: I fixed the list of codes above based on my posts below...

i was reading 186 like TBars, whenever i read my codes there was only a 1 flash pause between codes, not two. which would make the 86 a 186 code. or am i remembering wrong?

...It looks like a 186=Injector Pulse-width higher than expected..:dunno:

The 1 in front of the 1st 86 is a seperator pause.. you can tell by how long it is compared to all the others... and there are two 1's between the self test and the stored codes which means the 1st one is definatly(sp?) an 86 and not 186...

ok.. I must be getting old.. I just looked at bunch of instructions on the 'net and your right.. only 1 seperator pulse.. not 2 like I was remembering (1 pause 1 is the "all good" code)

In that case.. Tbars 'et al were right.. its a 186, not an 86..

I fixed my post above with the list of codes...

~Mark

...The EGR code is often found to be a tube problem...:scratch:

...Man, I don't want to get old...:p:

..(skips off singing, "I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toy's R Us Kid"...)

That seemed harder than it needed to be. I don't know if it's the "digitalness" of the recording, or the slowness of my computer, or what, but it didn't seem to consistently play all the frames at the same speed, so I'm making educated guesses as to what the PCM was outputting. I'll go through it step by step to help you see how the test is unfolding (I watched the video about 10 times before I could sort out something intelligible. Hopefully with this description, you'll be able to go back out and repeat the test in real time and get the right codes):

1) 0:03-0:05'ish: key is turned on. battery light comes on and CEL comes on then goes off as PCM enters KOEO test.
2) 0:12'ish: fast codes are output
3) 0:15-0:28'ish: 1st 3 digit KOEO code.
4) 0:30-0:45'ish: KOEO code repeated. Like I said, my player wasn't consistently playing each frame at the same speed, but it looks to me like it's trying to output a 327.
5) 0:50'ish: separator pulse between KOEO and CM codes.
6) 0:55-1:10'ish: 1st CM code looks like 175/176 or similar
7) 1:10-1:25'ish: 2nd CM code looks like 326 or 327 or similar
8) 1:25-1:38'ish: 3rd CM code looks like 332?
9) 1:38'ish to end: CM codes repeated

With that, I expect you should be able to go back out and figure out the exact codes it's trying to output.

You might try reviewing my "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" if you haven't already.

I had a code 327, had to replace the DPFE sensor. I first replaced it with an aftermarket sensor, which only lasted about a week. I then re-replaced it with a Ford part, it's been good ever since.

If you can get a good diagnostic procedure for these codes, I would start there. If you have a good AutoZone near you, they can print a diagnostic procedure for the codes, which lists specific tests to perform (with a voltmeter), down to the color of the wires. This is a very powerful tool, because it will lead you to problems that may not require part-swapping (such as wiring or connector issues).

I would think that you may be able to get something like this online, but I have not yet seen it myself.

Hope this helps.

Mike

That seemed harder than it needed to be. I don't know if it's the "digitalness" of the recording, or the slowness of my computer, or what, but it didn't seem to consistently play all the frames at the same speed,

That the problem I had.. once I downloaded the file to my local machine It played all the frames at a consistent speed.

~Mark

It looks like several people were ahead of me, and it looks like Maniak's got it: KOEO 327, CM 186, CM 327, CM 332.

SOP when resolving codes is to resolve the KOEO codes first, so focus on the KOEO 327. Note that KOEO codes almost always have to be electrical. I would start with the DPFE sensor circuit.

wow i must not be the only one with codes latelly ....last 3 days it has not been wanting to idle right when started cold.so before i started to clean the iac i got my camera out and took a vid of my code reader so i check out any codes stored then undid the batt then cleaned then reset everything ...

code 334 =egr valve postion sensor voltage above closed limit

if it's the sensor i'm thinkiing it is ( right below the egr diaphram) ...is the only one part of the egr system i did not replace when i replaced all the other egr parts ...go figure...i did at the time test it and was found to be good but not now i guess :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back