CEL comes on after driving about 50 miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CEL comes on after driving about 50 miles

colin94

Reaction score
City, State
Cameron Park, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
When I drive over about 50 miles in my 94 XLT the CEL will come on for a few seconds and then go off and then come on and off untill I stop shut down my car and let it sit. It will just come on for a few seconds or minutes at a time. When this happends there seem to be a delay in shifting. Like when I'm eccelerating to go up a hill ill hit the gas, it will delay for a second then Ill get the power all of a sudden. I have no idea whats goin on and no idea if its related to the CEL. I've ran the codes and got a bunch mostly dealing with MAF, IAT, IAC sensors. Then the other day I notices my airbox was cracked in the back and wasn't sealing correctly. COuld this be the CEL problem. If so how would it relate to the delay in shifting when the CEL comes on.

MAF IAC and IAT sensor codes are kinda serious.
I would take care of the airbox issue first, then re-set the computer/clear codes (- batt cable) and then see if they return.

CEL = pull codes.
99% of the time the codes are correct,

Your air box leak could cause issues with the IAT, IAC< and MAS yes.
Could be wiring, could be vacuum, could be lots of things but lets start by fixing the problem you found and see if the CEL comes back.

The computer uses many inputs in making decisions, like when to lock up the torque convertor and/or do the 3-4 shift in your case (later transmission had every shift controlled by the computer - your A4LD only had the 3-4 shift and TCC lockup controlled). Standard protocol is fix the error codes and then see if you need further work or diagnosis.

Back