• Register Today It's free!

CEL/ OD flash P0761

pafixitman

Reaction score
City, State
Hanover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited
I have searched here (granted not every forum) and the net. All I can find is info for the FWD AXN tranny.
I have a P0761 code. (Shift Solenoid C. CKT Performance or stuck off) Can anyone direct me to useful info?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume you mean the AX4N? I have the factory manual for the AX4S and I can try and help you by using that. I have a passing familiarity with the AXODE, which is a kissing cousin.

Sorry, not enough coffee when I posted. :D This was what I found.

It is for the ATX. I have a '96 Limited, 4.slow (OHV) w/ the (I believe) 4R55E. I have only had the truck a week and have not learned everything about it and the various acronms associated w/ it. :rolleyes:

I am pretty good w/ my E4OD though! :eek:

You found a thread related to a completely different transmission. Now that I know you have an Explorer and a 4R55E we can get somewhere. Forget everything you read there, those transmissions are totally different.

Your code indicates a solenoid failure for the SSC solenoid... either mechanical or hydraulic. Your task now is to figure out if the solenoid itself is bad electrically or what. Simple replacement probably needed. The 5R55E valve body rebuild diary should guide you through that process, as the VB's are for all intents and purposes the same.

Glacier991 said:
Your code indicates a solenoid failure for the SSC solenoid... either mechanical or hydraulic. Your task now is to figure out if the solenoid itself is bad electrically or what. Simple replacement probably needed. The 5R55E valve body rebuild diary should guide you through that process, as the VB's are for all intents and purposes the same.

:thumbsup: I re-read my "warranty" last night. I need to decide if paying them a $100 deduct, plus all taxes, fluids and associated filters is worth it. I glanced thru the rebuild article when I was checking out this site. I'll go back and re-read it. I'm thinking my money and time is worth it to upgrade the springs etc in the valve body and just do it all myself.

which solenoid is the "SSC" solenoid in the 4R55e ?

i know of the TCC, EPC, and of course the 4 other solenoids

are the 4 shift solenoids the "SSC" one's?

btw, what RPM should my 4.0 be turning in OD @ 55 MPH

thanx, John :cool:

The 5R55E Valve Body Diary identifies each of the solenoids, they are the same in the 4R55. SS = shift solenoid D = #4. SSA, SSB, SSC and SSD are all shift solenoids.

RPM's locked up in OD at 55 ought to be around 2000.

well, i got my TCC replaced as well as the new solenoid bracket.....

only to have the CEL come back on with the the P0761 code. (Shift Solenoid C. CKT Performance or stuck off)

so now looks like i get to drop the pan for a third time.....

but this time i will be overnighting Glacier the entire VB to be rebuilt

l8r, John :cool:

Back