Center Console Message Center MPG | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console Message Center MPG

SR77

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
After having my 96 Explorer for a little over a year now, I have noticed that the MPG feature is constantly off. The miles driven function is always right on, but the gallons used feature is never right which is why the MPG is off. What is causing the Gallons Used function to be off and is there a way to fix it? Would be nice to see what my truck is getting MPG wise as i am driving other then having to calculate it manually every time. thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had Lincolns also, as well as the Explorers. I have never heard of an accurate reading. If it happens, it was an accident. I haven't heard of any adjustment either. I wish there was a way to correct it. Good luck,

As I'm sure you know, you can actually clear the MPG total and it will begin to recalculate it. Here's what I think: the reason the MPG reading is off is because it's only an average. The more miles you drive between resets the more it has to average off. If you reset it you'll notice that the number will change more often, depending on your driving style. The more miles that you put on it between resets, the more miles it has to average with, so the less the number will change. Do you understand what I'm saying?

I'm not really sure why the actual amount of gallons left in the tank varies. Usually mine is pretty close to what's left in the tank. As we all know, the gas gauge on the Explorer constantly moves around, and can vary as much as a quarter of a tank if you're parked on a steep incline. There have been times where I've cranked my Explorer after it sat on an incline and the Message Center will say I have more gas (or less, depending), than I actually do.

2000black&gold said:
As I'm sure you know, you can actually clear the MPG total and it will begin to recalculate it. Here's what I think: the reason the MPG reading is off is because it's only an average. The more miles you drive between resets the more it has to average off. If you reset it you'll notice that the number will change more often, depending on your driving style. The more miles that you put on it between resets, the more miles it has to average with, so the less the number will change. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Bingo. That's exactly how it works, and is VERY accurate, IMO.

V8BoatBuilder said:
Bingo. That's exactly how it works, and is VERY accurate, IMO.

I'm with you, I think it's accurate as well... as long as you clear it out from time to time and it's not averaging 2,000 miles!

Or you could just do what those of us without that expensive (and useless, in my mind) piece of electronic wizardry do, and reset your trip meter when you fill up, then take that number and divide it by the amount of gas it takes you to fill up at the gas station. There's your mileage. :)

I have a 96 Limited as well.

The message center is highly accurate. I have never had any problem. I have checked it repeatedly. Ran it down to 1 mile till empty and filled the tank 21.9 gallons full.

Morgan

I bet very few people reset the MS when they refill the tank. I reset it and the trip meter every time, and the actual mileage is always lower. I calculate my mileage every time, on all of my vehicles, and it is all written down in a separate pad for each vehicle.

The message centers are all off in the optimistic direction. If it says I got 18mpg, then the actual amount will be more like 17mpg. The gallons left till empty is always higher, and the gallons used is always less than the amount that actually fills the tank.

If you don't always reset it, and always calculate the mileage, than you will not know that it is off. You will be assuming that you are getting that higher mpg reading. Regards,

Thanks for the replys. I guess there is something wrong with mine then if you guys are saying yours is accurate. I have the same problem that CDW6212R stated. The MPG is always atleast a mile or more higher then calculated. Every fillup I reset the odometer and the message center. I have been doing this since i got my truck (1 year) and the message center MPG is always higher then the actual MPG from the odometer. Like i said early, the miles driven in the message center is always dead on with the odometer, but the gallons used function is always off (less) which is why the Message center MPG is always higher then should be. I was hoping there was a fix for this like a sensor or computer flash that would fix the Gallons Used which would then display the real MPG. I know is not hard to calculate it at every fillup, but the truck came with the message center, so why not fix to read accurately.

Ours are typical, inaccurate. If anyone really has an accurate MS, then they better keep it, and treasure it. Until I see proof, I believe that they are all inaccurate. Regards,

Back