cgriffin's '98 NJ pre-runner build! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cgriffin's '98 NJ pre-runner build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
cgriffin's '98 NJ pre-runner build! WAS SOLD

Well after Truck Haven and talking to Stic-o. I have decided to go SAS and full width. I just bought a 79 Bronco w/ Dana 44 from a guy out of Utah, for $400 for the whole thing. I am going to have ?s so get ready her I come!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here come the ?’s

Ok here come the ?’s

1. What size coilovers do I need.
2. Hiemed or not, if so what size?
3. 3 or 4 link rear?
4. What size tubing for cage?
5. 9” or 8.8
6. Doubler or Atlas 2
7. Fuel cell
8. What winch, I saw the new Warn with winch and air in one unit.

So what do you guys think…..

Let the feedback begin!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

1. I've seen most people run the 5.5" coil
2. It depends. Try RE flex joints with bushings on the other end
3. One link it :D
4. i read a lot about .120 hrew
5. Keep the 8.8. Buy the super 88 kit and you have a c-clip eliminator kit, 4340 shafts and bearings and seals the size of a dana 60, also you gain an inch of width on each side
6. Stak 2 speed case
7.It all depends
8. The warn is pretty cool, but im sure it costs a pretty penny.

More ?’s

More ?’s

1. I know what tires I want. MTR’s what size 35’s or 37’s
2. Beadlocks
3. Steel or aluminum wheels
4. gears /lockers

Ok here come the ?’s

1. What size coils do I need.
3. 3 or 4 link rear?
5. 9” or 8.8
6. Doubler or Atlas 2
7. Fuel cell

Let the feedback begin!

1. Most run whildhorse 5.5 coils
3. i would run the rear on leafs....if you go otherwise you have to move the gas
tank.
5. I like my 9" but Rick does really good with his 8.8 also if going full width i
would use the 9"
6. Do both lol the Atlas 2 is expensive and the doubler
7. only if you link the rear end
8. I like the new warn winch with the air...GO for it...

Whats that one for?

hahaha its got a thornbird.

Well this is what I have so far.

1. Dana 44 hp front axle w/ radius arms and steering links
2. Ford 9” rear axle- to be sent to currie ent. For disk brakes and trussing
3. BW 1354 manual transfer case

alrighty, i guess go 9". The disc brake swap on that axle is easy, as well as trussing it. If you can weld you can do both. Brackets for the 9" are going for 45 bucks on pirate.

alrighty, i guess go 9". The disc brake swap on that axle is easy, as well as trussing it. If you can weld you can do both. Brackets for the 9" are going for 45 bucks on pirate.

Well if i cant weld it one of the guys at my shop can. As most of the build will be in house.

If you need some measurements from my bumpers I'll be at TDS and you can take it apart, take pics and measure. Good luck now that the bug has bitten:D

If you need some measurements from my bumpers I'll be at TDS and you can take it apart, take pics and measure. Good luck now that the bug has bitten:D

thanks tom but my x is a little differnt than your navaho so i guess its custom ones for me

Ok here come the ?’s

1. What size coilovers do I need.
3. 3 or 4 link rear?
5. 9” or 8.8
6. Doubler or Atlas 2
7. Fuel cell

Let the feedback begin!

Ok 1. Look at Jefe's he seems happy with his.
2. Not sure here, heim will make it a ruffer ride on the street
3. Leave the back alone or you will have to move the tank. (I'm woring on something for that...stay tunned)
4. Can't help you here.:rolleyes: Yet..:D
5. You may be better off with the 9" inch sence all you have is brake to adapt over to a FW 8.8.(I had a locker and cover) However you will lose your speedo, look into Izwack's truck. He made a tone ring off his t-case.
6. Atlas. Doubler you will have to move the tank again..it will not fit.
7. not leagel for smog.
8. Stay away from the 2 in 1 warn winch, I have heard of some problems with it, and it's so big it will cut off all your air for the engine. Do them seperate. T-max make some nice winchs;)

Thank you for letting me a insperation, you know Jefe was mine originally...so now the torch gets passed, and some day you may be someones insperation.;)

Ok 1. Look at Jefe's he seems happy with his.
2. Not sure here, heim will make it a ruffer ride on the street
3. Leave the back alone or you will have to move the tank. (I'm woring on something for that...stay tunned)
4. Can't help you here.:rolleyes: Yet..:D
5. You may be better off with the 9" inch sence all you have is brake to adapt over to a FW 8.8.(I had a locker and cover) However you will lose your speedo, look into Izwack's truck. He made a tone ring off his t-case.
6. Atlas. Doubler you will have to move the tank again..it will not fit.
7. not leagel for smog.
8. Stay away from the 2 in 1 warn winch, I have heard of some problems with it, and it's so big it will cut off all your air for the engine. Do them seperate. T-max make some nice winchs;)

Thank you for letting me a insperation, you know Jefe was mine originally...so now the torch gets passed, and some day you may be someones insperation.;)

Thanks Stic-o
Why is a fuel cell not smog legal you see guys doing it all the time in desert trucks?
What rear end are you running? what did you do to keep the speedo?
What size fox shocks are you running?

Desert trucks arent exactly street legal :D

Thanks Stic-o
Why is a fuel cell not smog legal you see guys doing it all the time in desert trucks?
What rear end are you running? what did you do to keep the speedo?
What size fox shocks are you running?

I don't know why the are not legal, I don't make the laws:confused: I working on another tank to be placed where the spare goes.;)

I'm running the A FW8.8 our of a '89 Bronco. There is a tone ring in the axle which a sensor reads from. The speedo is controlled by the ABS system. You lose the 8.8...you lose the speedo. The 9" does not have this.

Mine are 14"s

I would use the D44 out of the F100. It's got weld on wedges and .375" tubes. Looks like you got some good deals on those vehicles. You should be able to make a decent amount of money parting them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back