• Register Today It's free!

Change the tensioners?

BenRM94

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
My 2001 Explorer 4.0 SOHC is amazing! :D :thumbsup: It launches, pulls hard, averages 19-21 mpg every tank, and even the transmission shifts quick and firm, but it tics... :thumbdwn:
It has a slight ticking/pinging sound from approximately 2500-3000 RPM under load. I know that this is related to the timing assembly, and from what I've read, I probably have a stretched chain. It can't be the guides because it never rattles anywhere else, not even on start-up (unless I just changed the oil, in that case it rattles for a split second before the oil reaches the tensioners). But I have heard that tensioners on these weaken over time and I have also heard that they updated at least one of the tensioners?
So I must ask (since this is much simpler due to the tensioners being removable without tearing open the case): would swapping in new tensioners do anything? it has around 129,000 miles, by the way. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any biters? ;)
Just hoping someone out there who is experienced with this situation could give some advice... please? :D

Wow! So much mixed up information on the internet :eek:

So I've done some more research and I believe I have pinpointed the problem, but would still like an expert's advice, or even opinions.

I now believe that the problem I have is with the main cam chain and not the secondary ones. It seems I have a weak tensioner on the main chain, which requires opening the case to replace... :thumbdwn:

Anyone know if this is true? There's so much info that I just hope I can find out for sure before spending some money and a couple days fixing this.

primary chain tensioner

Timing chain rattle at 2500 to 3000 rpm is typically due to the primary (crankshaft to jackshaft) chain tensioner. It could also be due to the balance shaft chain tensioner if you have one (4WD only). Obviously, replacing the left and right camshaft hydraulic chain tensioners will have no effect on the primary or balance shaft chain tensioners. Starting with the 2002 Explorer, Ford installed significantly upgraded primary chain tensioners (strengthened base and more spring leaves). Replacing the primary chain tensioner requires removal of the front timing cover. Replacing the balance shaft chain tensioner requires removal of the timing cover and the upper oil pan (block girdle). That can be done with the engine in the vehicle but is a real pain. Some members have been able to separate the balance shaft tensioner spring section from the base and swap just the spring section without removing the block girdle. Other members have just cut the chain and disabled the balance shaft. More information is available by clicking on "My Helpful Threads" link in my signature.

I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I just wanted to find out exactly which rattle I have. Thank you for the confirmation :D

By the way, I don't have four wheel drive :thumbsup:

Back