• Register Today It's free!

changes 98-2001

stevetichy

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
I'm looking to buy a 98-2001 with a V8 and AWD. Are there any differences between those years I should be aware of?

As far as I know, there were a minor styling and suspension changes in 2001, but that's about it. My '98 had a few recalls (cc servo, for example -- which failed again a few years later...). On the 98, fading radio displays, bad DPFE (EGR pressure sensor), broken ignition wires, leaking front differentials and bad rear wiper motors were common, but I believe that none of this was remedied until the new 2002 model. And in any case, unless you buy from someone who couldn't care less, all should have been taken care of by now. At 140K my V8 is going as strong as new and doesn't burn any oil, but developed a small coolant leak - apparently from a freeze plug under the flexplate. No idea how common this problem is...
Hope you are aware that AWD is not the same as 4WD -- there is no manual control of any kind and no LOW. AWD was the only choice with the V8.

Oh one more thing: the nasty cc disconnect switch in the master cylinder in all Fords of that period, which was responsible for quite a few fires. Don't remember the exact year range -- might have been resolved in the 2001 model. Make sure the recall was done!

Back