• Register Today It's free!

SOHC motor Swap into Sport Trac

cmj141

Reaction score
City, State
Scranton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
Can I put a 98 Explorer Sport SOHC V6 4WD into the 2005-2010 Sport Trac? What about the Adrenalin? I read about the 2006-2010 Adrenalins being AWD(not sure if the 2001-2005 Adrenalin are AWD though)

And just to expand my options for buying my next truck, can I drop this motor into a F-150? If so what years? Thanks!
~Christopher

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4.0 sohc block is identical 97-10 so you could use the accessories off the Sport Trac engine on the 98 block to swap it in.

The 4.0 was never offered in the F150 so kinda hard to sell that swap over any V8 or diesel engine that fits.

You would only be using the block and heads from the 98 you would need the 05-10 style intakes and dress. There are some changes to the intakes and plumbing and sensors
I personally would not put a 98 sohc engine into anything. 97-98 were the first years and they were recalled and not the greatest of engines

The 4.0 sohc block is identical 97-10 so you could use the accessories off the Sport Trac engine on the 98 block to swap it in.

The 4.0 was never offered in the F150 so kinda hard to sell that swap over any V8 or diesel engine that fits.
That's awesome news that I can drop this motor into the 06-10 Sport Tracs. This opens up more options for me to choose from, and now I dont have to limit myself to just 01-05 Sport Tracs. I'm still torn on which body style and interior I like more so this will help with my decision.

And yes I much would prefer the V8 over the V6 for an Explorer or F150. If I ever found a great deal on a F-150 but had high milage I would consider getting it if I can drop this V6 in it in the meantime till I save up to buy a suitable V8 for it.

Any idea if the SOHC 4WD can be swapped into an Adrenalin that has AWD?

You would only be using the block and heads from the 98 you would need the 05-10 style intakes and dress. There are some changes to the intakes and plumbing and sensors
I personally would not put a 98 sohc engine into anything. 97-98 were the first years and they were recalled and not the greatest of engines
Noted, but if I had a choice I wouldn't either; It has only 40k miles on it so It will make for a great temporary motor till I buy a more ideal motor like the newer V6 that doesnt have the horrible timing chain guide issue, or a V8.

The sohc 4.0
Will go in place of any sohc 4.0 97-10 as stated

Back