Changing lower intake gasket, what else should I do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing lower intake gasket, what else should I do?

srider

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I'm changing the lower intake gasket and was wondering if there is anything else I should do while I have the intake off. This is on my 94 with 140,000 miles. I am going to replace the spark plugs, wires, ECT, ACT and radiator hoses while the intake is off. I was thinking about replacing the water pump since it has never been replaced. Is there anything else I should check?

Also, is there any difference between the Ford and FelPro gaskets. Since FelPro makes the gaskets for Ford, I would think they are the same, but I've heard the gaskets are actually different. Anyone know for sure? It seems Ford only sells a kit that has the head, valve cover and intake gaskets together. Since I'm not pulling the heads, I was just going to get FelPro as long as they are the updated ones you can get from Ford.

I had to replace my lifters in my '91 a while ago. All I did was replace gaskets, plugs, and wires. Pretty much the same thing you're doing. I think the problem is that once you decide to have some work done it's a never ending circle of upgrading and spending more money. :confused:

Where in Shawnee do you live? Do you ever take your Ex off-road?

srider,
I changed mine on my 93 about a month and a half ago and used the fel pro gaskets. While I was in there I cleaned everything I could get to, including the valve stems and sprayed the intake valves with spray sea foam and let them soak to clean them up. I cleanded the injectors and installed new o-rings. I also changed my water pump at the same time, mine was still working ok, but with almost 150,000 miles, I thought it was cheap insurance. Took me about 8 hours to do it, not too bad really. Also, my pinging has been completely gone since then. :bounce:
CJ:bounce:

Back