• Register Today It's free!

Best Gaskets To Buy/Use

Rodney

Reaction score
City, State
Church HIll,Tn.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
My head gaskets on leaking on both sides,what are the best ones to buy,Felpro or Ford for the heads,uper/lower intake ,valve covers ,etc.
Thanks alot,,
97 Ranger 4.0 113.365 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay Rodney!!! as I am embarking on a very similar task, I'll give you my input. My best reccomendation is go straight from Ford for this job. They have updated some of them that need it and subsequently you get a better than OEM gasket. I am doing my lower intake manifold and valve covers, and also upper intake. the lower intake and valve covers are Fords... and somehow the uppers are Felpro, probably when I had it in the shop... Can't say my head gaskets are gone yet but I will probably go ford on those as well. If you would like I have some pictures of my job, feel free to email me for them at monkeydude3@cs.com
it's a 1994 XL 4.0L OHV, pretty much same motor

GEORGE

I'm with George. More often than not OEM gaskets are best, esp head gaskets.

Thanks alot,I'll be starting on it this week-end.Started making a thumping sound like air was be pushed in the radiator ,have you ever heard of a thing?
Not driving it now,are the heads usually cracked? Thank you alot

My understanding is that 4.0 heads are prone to cracking in the event of a severe overheating episode.. but I'd ask Eneurb to weigh in on that. If you pull the heads, not a bad idea to have em magnafluxed and do the valves and at the same time. The bottom end of a 4.0 can easily go 300,000 miles with proper care.

as for the thumping sound, curious, I have no ideas on that.

ok,I'll have the heads checked out,my temp hand has moved up some but not on the H .Truck still runs really well though,the thumping sounds like the bubbling that would come from the overflow tank.Might have lost a little power,oil looks great to.Glad I checked here I was going to use Felpro from Auto Zone.

Yeah those gaskets are good for some things, but in my opinion if you are going through the absolutely joyful task :)-P) of tearing your engine down, you want the stuff it was meant to have in there. When I bought my lower intake and valve cover gaskets from Ford the parts guy told me they were updated... :) Good luck, email me at monkeydude3@cs.com if you want my pictures of my intake / valve cover job... c-ya
George

as for that thumping, I'd need more of a description of how loud, when it happens, etc... I'm at a loss... well it's off to Sears hardware, where I work! Oh yeah :p
by they way if anyone knows about Technology Center of Dupage in Illinois let me know, I go there now... I'm getting into VICA / Skills USA
take care
George

Back