• Register Today It's free!

Changing Radiator (Help again)

NightRock

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT,2009 Explorer EB
Thanks for this forum.. I manage to changed my front Hub Bearing.. Now I need a help for changing my Radiator. I decided to buy a new one rather than repairing it that will cost almost 50%..and not sure how long it will last.

If you guys have any illustrated details of changing Radiator for my Explorer 98 model XLT. it would be a very great help for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should be pretty straight forward. I would guess it is held on by 4 bolts, one at each corner, 2 transmission lines and 2 coolant lines. Just unhook the tranny and coolant lines, then remove the bolts, and lift it out. You may have to remove the shroud first, should be 4 screws and maybe a bolt or 2.

You must do this every time you pull an engine, along with removing the hood this is the 2nd step in removing an engine as far as I know.

Be careful not to damage the new one, maybe have a friend help you seat it in place while you bolt it in.

Good Luck, and welcome to the forums!

thanks for your tips.. do you have any drawings that I can follow?

i dont know if you have done it yet, but go and buy a haynes manual for under $20 @ any local auto parts store.......

its a radiator, its unplug the hose, unbolt it and lift out, reverse to install

jimbo74 said:
i dont know if you have done it yet, but go and buy a haynes manual for under $20 @ any local auto parts store.......

its a radiator, its unplug the hose, unbolt it and lift out, reverse to install

He's in Dubai. A Haynes manual will be a little tough to come by over there, I'm sure.

-Joe

Any Online manuals I can download??? I feel I can DIY changing radiator but I will feel comfortable if I have some illustrations or drawing as a guidelines

www.fordcds.com

I really don't see a need for one, honestly. It's not a difficult job. On a scale from 1 to 10, if adding washer fluid is a 1, and rebuilding an engine and trans is a 10, replacing the radiator is about a 2.5 at worst. It really is a simple job. There are no special tools or secret tricks. Just try not to break the fittings on the transmission lines, don't cross-thread or over-tighten any of the screws (1 1/2 turns past stripped is too tight!! :p ) and don't let the dog lick the antifreeze you spill.

-Joe

when your done just fill with a premix coolant or if you mix yourself use distilled water. Don't use tap water all the minerals, metals and chlorine will promote rust and scale buildup.

Thanks...for all response I called the supplier its out of stock.. Im trying to order online but no one response in regards to shipping here in Dubai

Back