changing rear wheel hub (bad bearing) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

changing rear wheel hub (bad bearing)

dawnlaugh

Reaction score
City, State
Wooster, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 4x4
Can anyone point me to a good post on changing the rear wheel hubs in the case of a bearing gone bad?:D
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. That is a very nice post and there are lots of helpful comments following also. My husband is working his way thru this job and he almost has the hub off ready to take it to a friends to have the bearing pressed out and the new one in.
Those pics in the post were very helpful.

another thing, it helps to put the bearing in the freezer.

To put on(new) or to take off(old)??!!

Put new bearing in freezer (overnight) before installing it. Best to go directly from freezer to press. The cold makes the bearing slightly smaller to go into the knuckle a bit easier.

I have a 02 AWD Mountaineer and will be replacing the front Hub bearing. All pats store has a full hub replace w/ ABS. Does the Knuckle have any race in it or any like part? Maybe the CV spline goes directly into the hub but would like to know a little more about the spline, knuckle, & hub interaction if there is other parts that might wear out inside the spindle like area.

Back