Changing upper ball joint with Autozone tool | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing upper ball joint with Autozone tool

themons

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello:

I am attempting to replace my upper ball joints on my 2002 4 door 2 WD Explorer. I have the bent metal control arm version. From what I have read, it is possible to replace these with new upper ball joints such as the Moog K80008.

I acquired the Autozone tool, but I don't think that I am trying to use it correctly. It is the giant clamp with the disks and cylinders. My understanding of the tool is that the top of the joint is to be forced out of both the steering knuckle and the control arm by pressing the joint into the cylinder. Is this correct?

How can this be done if the control arm is at a 45 degree downward angle?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never did the ball joints on the Ex, but i thought you got the whole arm, i thought it was press fitted, i could be wrong.

can only be pressed out 1 way(up)
pressed in (down).
You have to seperate the BJ from the spindle first- so then the a-arm will move around independently.

out
balljoint08.jpg

Note this sint a X, but it will give you an idea on the way the press works.

in
balljoint09.jpg

P.S. > put the NEW balljoints in the freezer for an hour or 2, it will make getting them in easier(shrinkage factor) also make sure you clean out the hole where the old ball joint was, theres probably some rust around there (sandpaper, emery cloth or a wire brush) will work great.
make sure the BJ is going in straight as well.

http://www.ratemyford.net/showvideo.php?videoId=106425

Thanks for the input guys.

This is what I ended up doing.

With a little bit of pressure on the control arm with the jack, I was able to free the taper from the the steering knuckle with PB and hitting the knucke with a 3 lb hammer.

I had to disconnect the control arm. With the control arm out, I was not able to successfully use the Autozone tool to press out the joint. The tool actually started pressing the ball through the ball joint housing rather than extracting the whole ball joint assembly. So I took out the grinder and lopped off the shaft end of the ball. I could then pound on the ball joint housing with the same hammer. It easily broke free.

I did use the Autozone tool to finish pressing in the new Moog joints. It helped that I had put the joints in the freezer for a couple of hours prior to pressing them in. There wasn't enough clearance with the Autozone cylinder, so I used the side of my hammer as a pressing surface.

usually with the BJs you can undo the nut,(leaving it loose) then smack the nut and get it out of the spindle.
I think the AutoZone BJ press is $**t, too weak IMO for any balljoints, works ok for pressing in U-joints though.

glad you got it out and fixed, feels good to save all that money that some shop would have charged $200 + for!

I'm getting ready to do upper and lower ball joints on my 99' 4wd and I'd like to just buy a good press that will have enough jaw width to both remove and install the joints. Anybody have a brand suggestion? Also wondering if anybody knows the size of the ball joints so I can compare that with the adapters in some of the kits?
Thanks!

BTW this is a kick ass forum, its already proved to be a HUGE help working on my explorer!

Just thought I'd post an update. I soaked everything in PB Blaster about a week before and it all came apart really easily considering its a car that lives in the Connecticut winters. Did the upper control arms lower ball joints sway bar links and hub / bearing assemblies in about 5 hrs. not the quickest but wasn't rushing it. Ended up using the autozone ball joint press kit. great posts and pics were a huge help, oh and putting the new ball joints in the freezer worked like a charm!

hey what tools i need to replace upper and lower ball joint? also is there a step by step guide?

Back