• Register Today It's free!

Charging Problems 2016 3.5L

Pamm r

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Low Volts, will do 14 .5 sometimes at startup but then lowers to 13.2 then down to 12.2 usually. Ford has replaced alternator, battery and checked for codes but is still doing it. All we can think of is maybe the PCM?
Any help on here????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you getting any messages on the MFT screen regarding low battery or regarding 'Battery Saver Program'? Any issues with starting the vehicle?

Peter

Nope, No messages but my digital meter says volts all over the place , mostly at 12.2 ----13.2

What is the actual problem? No start? Dead/weak battery? Charging system is designed to reduce voltage output based on battery condition/state...this reduces alternator drag and increases MPG.

I seen that about normal low amp now. So I guess I have no problem. I was just going by the old way that it should be charging 13.5 ---14.3 always, so I see now the new way it changes all the way down to 12.2 when needed.

That’s odd the Dealership wouldn’t explain the charging system to you...what issue/problem did you tell them you had?

Got is figured out, normal to not charge to save fuel until needed to charge. per FORD.

There is a Battery Control Module BCM. It watches everything about how the battery and electrical stuff is working. Basically it is a really smart battery charger. Only charging it when it is needed and with the least amount of current and voltage needed to do the job.

The old school of 14v all the time is gone on newer cars and trucks.

Back