Cheap Performance Booster? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cheap Performance Booster?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the quick response

Well I am sure there will be some nay sayers out there but here it goes. My wife bought a 2000 kia spectra, brand new, and we immediately took a road trip. On our first 800 mile trip we averaged 32 mpg. 2 weeks later I went to buy a K&N air filter and the guy showed me a tornado. I was skeptical, but explained that if I wasn't satisfied he would give my money back plus $10 for my trouble. I bit. I installed the filter and tornado in the parking lot. I noticed a minimal increase in performance, but an increase none the less. The kicker came 2 weeks later when we made another 800 mile trip. 36 mpg. I was hooked. I also bought one for the bronc (carbureted). A big waste of $70. I guess that the efi 4 cyl was more responsive to the increased air than the carb. I never tried adjusting the carb, didn't see the point. With the X's efi it may make an improvement, I don't know, never tried it. I have had other friends experience same results on their fuel injected vehicles. If I am not mistaken the tornado is "satisfaction guaranteed". They had no problem taking back the one I bought for the bronc. Try it and if you don't like it all you wasted was the few minutes it took to install it.

Yes I have thought of that. I have no way to prove where the increase came from. I just stated the fact that those two items did increase my mpg. I guess if I had thought then I would have done some investigating, but like most people, when something actually works, you don't ask why. The tornado went with the car when it was sold so I cannot go back and test it. It is very possible that all the increase was from the K&N.

its a restriction in the intake, that swirling air crap is bull. by the time the air moves through the throttle body, plenum, the intake runners, and the ports in the heads it would have completely changed velocity and direction

I must agree they sound like bull but I've never had one. I saw em and was like oh yeah that could work then I turned the box over and saw the $60 price tag and I couldn't stop
lauhging. A guy with some heating and air sheet metal experience could make a fortune.

Your milelage came from the k&n I got the Same from mine.

But the again so many people swear they work.

Just sounds like a soup sandwich to me.

thanks for the help guys

HAHAHAHAHA i didnt even look at the site cause once it loaded just enough to say jc whitney tornado performance booster i just X'ed out the site. those things dont do crap.

One of my close friends said he put one in his mom's t-bird back when they first came out and they gained like 2 mpg or something like that, and another friend put one in his alero and said the same thing.

THEY

DON'T

WORK!!!

C'mon people...this has been thrashed to death multiple times. Putting something in your intake that partially blocks airflow will not help your performance...Anyone that claims an improvement based on this alone is full of BS. It's a gimmick that works very well at emptying wallets of the gullible and that's it.

Back