Lowering the Explorer... need opinions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer... need opinions.

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
I'm constantly sitting on the fence about lowering or raising my Explorer. My ride is a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT, 4 Door Automatic.

I've looked around, and the few that HAVE lowered their Explorers, I love the way they look, at the same time I also like the ones that have been lifted, and just "look right".

I was looking on JCW today, and came across a few interesting parts, mind you, this is not long term, but was more interested then anything:

Lowering Helpers 1

Lowering Helpers 2

Would these work until I could get the drop I-beams, and what consequences would I suffer? Premature Tire-wear?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're going to use a $9.99 part to lower your truck?

wait..you are going to lower a 4WD?! you must be ~>:confused:

Whoa whoa whoa, where the heck did you get 4wd? 4 DOOR buddy...

if i had a 4 wheel drive, i know exactly what i'd do...

v8 conversion, lift...DONE.

and if it works, yes i'd use it.

Get Drop Springs. And Lowering blocks in the back. That will get you a 2/3 or a 2/2 drop.

Ryan

where about can yo ufind drop springs? i've been lookin gfor those for explorers for a while and can't find them. will the ranger ones work? or the f150s?

It's all about the ride!

You're going to use a $9.99 part to lower your truck?

wait..you are going to lower a 4WD?! you must be ~>:confused:

Whoa whoa whoa, where the heck did you get 4wd? 4 DOOR buddy...

if i had a 4 wheel drive, i know exactly what i'd do...

v8 conversion, lift...DONE.

and if it works, yes i'd use it.

Don't even sweat it, use the $9 part, there are threads here on how to undo the damage should it occur. The lowered vehicle is your choice, be safe... and throw a pic if possible when ready... Check this out, any plans on droppin it like this? :D

I'd rather see cut coils than those JCW parts. Springs are half the price of beams, so you'll be waiting even longer to get the beams. Just save the money and leave it alone until you get the drop beams.

Don't even sweat it, use the $9 part, there are threads here on how to undo the damage should it occur. The lowered vehicle is your choice, be safe... and throw a pic if possible when ready... Check this out, any plans on droppin it like this? :D

Not THAT though, i just want to lower it about 3 inches or so, and then try my hand at fiberglassing, do a sleek body kit for it... i'm wanting to make it a "party vehicle", bit enough 3, 4, 5, people can pile in, and just cruise. i all ready got the silver paint for it, and i have an idea for the rims. just need to figure out how to even out the window tint without the front looking new and the rears looking messed up... might just replace the glass with all clears non tinted so they're even.

i was gonna lower my 4x4 roughly 2"s but gave up on that thought because i figured itd ride like crap and be hard to keep in alignment.. youd also have to cut ur bumpstops which i really didnt wanna do.. i just got 20s at factory height and am satisfied

okay, so i see no one answered my question earlier...

someone mentioned drop springs... where would you find those for an explorer? i would use that if i could, because it would lower it the right amount for the way i would like, and i would use 3 inch blocks in the back, so it'd be sitting a little lower, and level... i would get springs if i could, but where or what kind should i use?

i have a 1992 2 door explorer 5 speed 4x4, i crushed it, i lowered it 6 inches in the front and 3'' blocks in the back, i have a badass stereo that makes it lower the back more so it sits level. i have no bump stops in the front i need tires every weekn a half, the tires i run are like 30 a tire so it aint that bad looks badass though. it rides a lil bouncey butt... just crush it like i did, u can check out my truck at cardomain.com then search my id which is brocco604 and it will bring it right up.

lower4x4...you haven't 'crushed' anything. I wouldn't be bragging in EVERY thread about how you 'crushed' it, and how great it rides. We all know it's BS. We have all spent untold amounts of money to do things the RIGHT way. You think 'your' way is better because it's cheaper....if you had done a 'REAL' suspension drop, you could be spending that $100 per month on something else..

Josh...your spacer is going out this week...PROMISE!...LOL

I'll PM you the details on the springs I got in my X...

Ryan

Josh...your spacer is going out this week...PROMISE!...LOL

I'll PM you the details on the springs I got in my X...

Ryan

If you say so... lol.

I say lower it definitely , not enough people do it.

The rear bumper and side skirts kits for the seccond gens should fit on it. As for the front bumper , a first gen gmc jimmy or blazer one should be very close as it's nice and boxy. I say make it real low and real cool. Shave it up so it's nice and simple. I always thought a navajo grille body colored would look good too on a lowered one.

Well I have running boards from a Limited Edition, which give me the "side skirt" look I want. Just working on the front bumper now...
In fact I may run home to the junkyard this weekend to see if any are available in good condition (meaning not bent, I could care less if it's scratched or paint is faded, that can be fixed).

School takes priority as usual, I'll have the money, then school comes along and I'll need to buy a 200 dollar book or something... But it's slowly coming together, biggest chunk of change is going to be the lowering ibeams if i go that route. Just need to find that money to pay for it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back