Cheapest Chipped Keys? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cheapest Chipped Keys?

StoleIt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Limited V8
My Explorer only came with one chipped key. I'm wondering who makes the cheapest copy chipped keys. I know there's ways to bypass them but I'd really rather just keep this part stock. My local Ford dealer is closed today but I'll call tomorrow and ask. My local Walmart cuts and programs them for $59.99. So far I don't know anyone else that makes them. I'd program them myself, but if I understood correctly from the manual, you have to have at least 2 keys to be able to program a third. I need to get a brake system flush soon anyway, so I wonder if my local Ford dealer would be willing to throw one in for free, or do they not negotiate with things like that? I was thinking I'd call up and give them some spiel about how I was going to get the brake flush somewhere else because cheaper, but if they throw in the key I'd get it done there. Also, do chipped keys have batteries in them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never hurts to ask but very unlikely your dealer will "throw in" a PATS key and program it for the price of a brake flush. Also be aware most stores "clone" keys, not program them. Both threads linked below may be very beneficial to you. GL

What Is The Difference Between A Cloned Key And A Programmed Key
http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-Is-The...nd-A-Programmed-Key-/10000000178247159/g.html

PATS key sucsess! Thanks Forscan
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432028

I know it sounds like a little much, but I've gotten way crazier things by just asking. Thanks for the info!

My dealer charged me $80 for the key, program and they also gave me the keypad code. That's not much more than your wal-mart quote, which as stated is probably a clone quote.

Believe it or not, I called independent locksmiths and they were all more expensive than the dealer and had no idea how to retrieve the door code, or what I was talking about. Most of the quotes you see online are also for the "cloning" and they'll charge more when they realize they have to plug their PATS box in.

I ordered a flip key with a built in fob for about $18 on eBay, had it cut and programmed by a local locksmith for $50. I too, only had one key when I bought my Explorer.

Now with two programmed keys, I can add new keys myself if I wanted to order some spares on eBay or something. The fob is easy to program, you don't need to have any to start programming a new one.

Back