• Register Today It's free!

Chip Key Replacements

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Okay, same old story here (and "yes, I searched"). I just bought a 2006 Explorer and only got one key, and one remote. However, by a stroke of luck with another Ford product, I do have in my tool box 4 other Ford chip key blanks. The mechanical key portion that gets cut looks identical (same grooves, same flats) but the body portion is not shaped the same. They both(old original key and new blanks) have a "S" engraved on them near the key root into the plastic.

Does this mean these chip key blanks are acceptable to use to have my lock guy make some spare chip keys? Or does the shape of the key determine it as a replacement? They are same thickness, and I think the new blank should fit into the ignition key slot.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even if the key blanks that you have are compatible, you are SOL if you only have one of them programmed. It is off to the dealer for you. You need two programmed keys to be able to self program an additional one. I started out with two keys and got a third for that reason. If I lose one, I still have two that I can use to re-program a new third key.

All of this complexity makes me fuming mad. I have never needed this level of security. If I felt a need for it, I could obtain it aftermarket. In the mean time they build something that at some time in the future may well cause a great amount of inconvenience and cost.

True, which is why I have 4 blanks and would have all 4 made into spares. The question is are these blanks compatible with the extisting key?

Original:

Replacement:

True, which is why I have 4 blanks and would have all 4 made into spares. The question is are these blanks compatible with the extisting key?

Original:

Replacement:

I do not know how one would tell at a glance. If you had a second programmed key you could try to program one. Without a second programmed key your only option is to take what you have to a dealer a let them tell you if it will work.

Not sure if this helps, but Strattec appears to be the supplier of Ford OEM key blanks. Searched for a vehicle model compatibility listing but came up empty. Agree regarding the BS of needing two working keys to program a third. Nice of Ford and other manufacturers to supply only two security keys when you buy a new car. I'm sure any locksmith that is PATS equipped would know which blanks are compatible with your vehicle. GL

http://aftermarket.strattec.com/key.php?q=FORD

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1275502

You need to know whether they are 40 bit or whatever bit.

The newer higher bit blanks will work with the older lower bit systems, but not the other way around.

MT

Not sure why you guys are saying that you need 2 keys to program a 3rd key... on the Mountaineer I was able to program 2 new keys just by starting the recognition process with just 1 "known/recognized" key. I cannot remember the exact process for programming it, but it was a series of on/off maneuvers with the recognized key before inserting the other keys to be recognized. Also, since they are stamped with an "S" they should communicate just fine ... all of my keys are stamped with an "S". The only problem that I remember is that you have to have all the keys on hand once you start the recognition process or one of your other keys will no longer work.
Of course I now recall some situation happening at the dealership quite some time ago where they ended up giving me a new spare key for some reason and maybe that is why... heck now I am not so sure of myself and maybe a technician accidentally wiped the memory for some reason and they had to give me another key to make sure I could make my spare at home work again.

Thanks Hawaii... seems like it is not so plug and play as far as the keys go... bitrate might be right but internal communication must vary by generation and manufacturer.

So it appears like mine blanks are Type 1 and the key that came with my Explorer is a Type 15. Not sure why they are both marked S but I guess I need the ones similar to what came with the vehicle.

When I bought mine with just 1 key, I found a locksmith that had a software and he cut and programmed additional keys.
Does not need to be the dealer.

Two different options being intertwined here. CLONING and ADDING.

1) Cloning: Take key A and make another key A. You have two working keys, but as far as PATS is concerned, they are the same. Because they are. Locksmith does this without ever seeing the vehicle. Some Walmarts, Lowes, etc. do this.

B) Adding. Dealer teaches PATS to accept brand new key B. Its completely different than key A. Obviously dealer needs to have the vehicle to do this. Upside to using the dealership is they can delete any additional allowed codes that the previous owner might have had made. You never got the second key, you also didn't get the potential third or fourth which could still be out there. Ditto for remote fobs. Downsize is cost.

Most Fords will allow unique 4 keys, some as many as 8. In theory, you can clone your key 1000 times and have 1005 working keys.

Back