Check Charging System/Engine Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Charging System/Engine Light

Mathew Byrd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited 4WD
Hello. My wife and I own a 2013 Explorer Limited 4WD. We love the vehicle, and it is her daily driver. Over the summer, (I would say mid June), without reason or warning, we got a "Check Charging System" alert in one of the MyFord Touch driver's displays. Soon after, the check engine light came on. At this point, the vehicle had around 70,000 miles, and had exited it's "bumper to bumper" warranty period. We took the vehicle to the local dealer and they said they would need to charge a $700 diagnosis fee. I was not going to go for that. I then took the vehicle to a buddy of mine who works on cars, and was a Ford tech in the past. He couldn't find anything, and he reset the lights. Five minutes down the road they are back on. Now, about 6 months later, we are at about 102K miles, (yes, I know. A big jump. New commute....), and the lights are still on. I have gotten to a point where I just ignore them and the chime and warning on startup, but my wife can't stand them. I asked if she could wait until we trade the car in, but she doesn't like the idea. (She is getting a new 2018 Platinum next year hopefully!). But any clue what this could be? I don't want to have to pay the "diagnosis fee" if the car is, and has been running fine since this happened. Just trying to please the wife. Sorry for the longggg post. Thank you in advance.

We need to start with the codes.

If "check charging system" comes on with the vehicle running, engine on, but the vehicle never needs to be jumped by an external source, I'm guessing that the PCM has lost control of the alternator, but the alternator is faulting out to a default rather than demand driven output.

I'd also love to know what dealer would charge $700 for the privilege of diagnosis.

I second what @thefranchise713 said.

Also, I've heard a failing battery can cause some odd issues. Maybe have the battery tested?

Back