"Check Engine" just came on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Check Engine" just came on

ferese

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
I'm a newbie on this board and I've got a problem with my truck. I've got a 2002 2WD Explorer and my Check Engine light just came on. Can anybody here help me on this? Is there some code of blinking lights I can read that will tell me what the problem might be? Any and all help will be very much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blinking lights are on the older vehicles pre 1996. To read the codes you can go to almost any auto parts store and they can read them for you. Make sure to write the down then once you have them you can post them on here and we can help you diagnose them.

..:scratch:..If you had your location next to your name another member in your area may be able to help you out..

..As for getting your codes read, it is no longer available at auto parts stores in States like California and Hawaii..;)

Yeah, Tbar, I neglected to include my location. I'm outside of Boston on the northshore of Mass.
GT55, I got the code for the Service Engine Soon light that lit up on the dashboard from an Advanced Auto store but they weren't sure what it meant.

The code is:

P1400
DPFE Sensor
Circuit
Low Volt

So it looks like it's probably an electrical problem. Do any of you folks recognize this code? Once again, any help or suggestions will be really appreciated.
Bob S.

Yep, replacing the DPFE sensor is a piece of cake. I just did it this weekend. 2 minutes. Just search the forum for instructions.

Thanks dj. Glad to know it's an easy fix and that the info is available here.
Bob S.

Welcome aboard ferese!! :salute:

I have changed my DPFE Sensor. Mine was throwing P0401. I got it at AutoZone for around $40. It took me about 2 minutes to change with no tools required. I changed it right in the parking lot! Just remove the electrical connector and pull it off the 2 rubber hoses, it's not screwed or bolted to anything.

Location for the V6:

picture.php

Hope this helps out! :biggthump

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Back