Check Engine Light - Crank Sensor and Misfire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light - Crank Sensor and Misfire

ale379

Reaction score
I have a '04 XLT and the check engine light came on a few days ago. I took my truck to Auto Zone to have them read the codes. The truck runs idle it vibrates/shakes for couple of seconds then goes away. Truck runs good after that but the check engine light still on.

The codes from Autozone read as follows.

1. Cylinder Misfire detected, Cylinder #2.
The probable cause for the misfire - Ignition system fault-spark plug(s),
ignition wire, coil.
Vacuum Leak.
Injector Fault.
High or low fuel pressure.

2. Crank Sensor Condition.
The probable cause. Crank sensor defective, check connector and
wiring to sensor or check trigger wheel for damage.

I think I can check problem number 1. but problem number, where would the sensor be located in 04 explorer?

Has anybody had a problem with this issues.
Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The CKP sensor is located on the front of the engine block near the crankshaft pulley. According to my Haynes manual anyway.

the second one, the crank sensor , is a bust, don't even have to look at that ,, if the rest of the cylinders are firing there is nothing wrong with it,,

go back to #1, check all the wies too, not just the one,,and than all the plugs, and so on, ,

I ended up replacing the spark plugs and wires and the same problem again. I thought I was lucky because the check engine light went away, but after a day it came back on.

Where else can I look to fix this problem? How can I check for the next probable cause, Vacuum Leak, Injector Fault, High or low fuel pressure?

Also, to replace the crankshaft sensor? are there special instructions to replace the sensor? or just remove and replace it with a new one?

Thanks for any help you may provide?

The crank sensor is located on the blck, about 10 o clock in relation to the crank shaft pulley

You might check the crank pulley--trigger for damage. Seems I remember reading of crankshaft failures before-

yep... same exact thing happened to me w/my 02 4.6 v8 .
Stalled a couple times... autozone shot the code and said cylinder 2 misfire

being the do it yourselfer that i am.. i bought & installed new plugs, fuel filter, and seafoamed the engine. After all that it seemed to run a little better... but the stalls still happened. It would stall... then start up again after a few minutes.

finally brought it to the best shop in town (not cheap) they called me and said it was the crank sensor.
part was $60, diagnosis fee $50 and labor was $120.... not cheap but i was up and running by the end of the day. Not only was I up and running... but it ran better than it did since i bought it pre owned. Maybe a combination of seafoam treatment I did via the vacume line and new spark plugs and fuel filter... but my 4.6 now runs smooth as silk ... idles perfectly at rpms lower than I ever remember, has much more power and gets better mpg.

Back