Check engine light! Help!

saleensr

Reaction score
City, State
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
Hey all,

Today my check engine light came on. However its weird how it has come on right at the start of our cold winter weather. In the last couple of days, the temperature has dropped below 0 degrees celcius which is very uncommon in our area. So I am thinkin it has to be the weather that is causing the problem. I have a 1997 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC eng. Oil pressure, battery level, and temp level's all appear normal. Engine seems to be running fine. I know i can bring it to the dealer but i know they'll just charge me an arm and a leg for reading the error codes. But one thing i wanted to ask is if it is bad for me to just disconnnect the batter to reset the computer and see if the light goes away? Someone please help! thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't take it to the dealer. Autozone reads codes for FREE.

Check the catalytic converter...i have a 97 V8 and mine came on 2wice and the cat converter had to be replaced...also according to the owners manual it says it comes on because of the fuel emissions system, so the catalytic converter would be what i would check first

hey thanks for all the input!!!!

i was reading somethin about performing tests using a digital multimeter or Voltmeter... anyone ever done this on a 97 explorer?

im not too clear about these tests..... does anyone know about this? Is it for testing out the OBD-II codes??

I think that method is for the obd I system.

I'm not sure about other autozones but all the autozones in my area do not read codes anymore.
What you can do is go to harbor freight and buy an OBDII code reader for 40-50 dollars. It'll read whatever codes are stored in the system.

Light!

Well I went to autozone and they said they only can do it for 96 or newer. My 94 won't hook up. He recommended a shop and it will be like $70 and I have to leave my ex for the day!?

O'Riley said they have a reader I can borrow with a $200 deposite (WOW) but I have no idea if it will fit the ex or where to hook it up.

Just another problem... suggestions please?

Thanks
Blake

PS I dont have a Harbor Freight or anything around here.

I would look around for a OBD-I code reader for your ford. I bought one for my GM at Advance for $40.
Good luck
Steve

So I need a OBD-1 reader? Can I get this from O'Riley, Autozone, or NAPA?

I also have no idea where to hook it up on my 94.
Thanks!

Blake: You can buy an "official" OBD-1 code reader if you like. My OBD-1 code reader is a $3 analog voltmeter (technically not necessary can also use CEL) and a short piece of wire. Read through the instructions at www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html Note that this only applies to OBD-1 ('95 and earlier). '96 and later use OBD-2 and, in those cases, you must have some kind of code reader/scanner to get the trouble codes.

Autozone checked my '94 wonder why the would check yours? Anywho, you can buy a cheap code reader for about $25. I got mine from Walmart. Once you know the codes we can start helping you trouble shoot.

MMM...... sounds interesting but a little hard for me to follow. mabye I could try it but I feel a little caution b/c it is so unfamiliar.

you got one from WM? that sounds easier to me and then you all can help with the codes that would be great!

Yep, bought mine at WM a couple of years ago.

hey one other thing i wanted to ask u guys! Now I'm seeing somethin wrong with my explorer. I think it has to do with the intake or exhaust system. In the morning, the car starts up and idles quite high, then drops back down, then does it over and over again.
It goes from 800rpm to 1500rpm, over and over, without any delay in between. Sounds like it can't decide wat it wants to idle at. Sometimes it seems to get so low that it shuts off. Im wondering if its the MAF that's screwed..... any ideas? then again maybe its the exhaust system having problems.....

do u guys think its ok for me to pull the battery out to reset the computer?

thanks again!

Well, did you read your codes?
If you haven't, you should, it could help identify what's going on.

Well im from Canada, so we don't have a autozone or anyone who can read it for free... and i don't want to tkae it to ford cuz they're gna bill me like 150 bucks to read it..... so i don't know if i shud just disconnect then recoonect the battery.

Clean your MAF. Do a search. It does sound like your MAF needs cleaning but we still need codes to really help you. It cant hurt to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery but I don't think it will help you.

I have the same problem, right at the start of cold weather for the last 3 years my check engine light come on. The code is for "engine running to lean".

This year I decided to just disconect the battery, and it turned off and hasnt come back. If you dont care what the code is, that works fine. If it come back though, you really need to check what the code is. You may be able to get it checked at an oil change place; Sears auto shop checked mine one for around $20

Anyone know why this happens??? Last three years in December it came on, had it reset, and doesnt come back on for another year.

yeah thanks! i'll do that then.. i'll just pull the battery to reset the ECU.... The cold weather has stopped... its a lot warmer today and the car doesn't have that rough idle anymore.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, just one hint.
If you lock the car when you pull the battery, obviously the only way to open it will be with the key.
Since I had never used the key lock on the door, my locks were jammed and took me a while to get it open. I got locked out for a while. Make sure they work beforehand. If not, I ended up dousing it w/ WD40.

Back