Official Moab 2004 Chitchat Thread | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Official Moab 2004 Chitchat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yah hey - bring sno cones yah crazy cannuk... :thumbsup:

Glad to hear that you are going to be there... I'm trusting that we are not going to have a cliff shoving contest!

More members to meet! My wife Kathy and I will also be staying at the Silver Sage.

Rick, what are the laws in Utah about carrying handguns? Any ideas? I usually like to have some snake medicine with me when doing the western thing - too many days spent hunting in Wyoming, I guess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

glfredrick, we don't shoot snakes. They are our friends!

Just the ones with rattlers... I have had a couple too many decide I looked like lunch - Now, I deal with them my own way...

Glad to hear that you are going to be there... I'm trusting that we are not going to have a cliff shoving contest!

I consider you a respected friend, and will be glad to meet you, there won`t be a show between us will there? If we find any dinosaur footprints, we can just pretend they don`t prove anything, besides I`ll be having too much fun for theological talk.

:p

:p

Have you ever tried to get on an air plane with a firearm on your side? That is what it is like if you bring a gun to Utah. I would not do it because if they catch you they will arrest you and confiscate the gun, I know from personal experience ;)

The "tip toe" trail basicly just follows along side the main trail. It is basicly the route you take if you want to bypass the obsticals. This picture is the only hard obstical you will encounter but nothing a quick strap won't cure.

Attachments

• nv30-015.jpg
    nv30-015.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 231

well change of plans

just made reservations at silver sage instead of canyonlands campground, i figured with the gas prices so high it would probably be about the same price if not cheaper to stay there then to pull the camper trailer like i did last year.

so i might as well stay a little more confortable and alot less things to pack.

on another note, i kinda like the idea of doing tip toe exspecially if it runs along side like HVAC MAN said. that way we get to see the show and if any of us want to try any harder obsticles there is always that opertunity to.

but like i said whatever you guys decide is fine with my. :)

I consider you a respected friend, and will be glad to meet you, there won`t be a show between us will there?

Same here - that's why I bother you unmercifully...

I might have to deal with the dinosaur footprints thing though. :D

Same here - that's why I bother you unmercifully...

;)

~

-HOW HOT does it get where we are going? Last summer my engine ran pretty hot in the peak temps of summer, I might get a new rad before I go just to be safe. Here we go....$$

Two years ago it was easily over 100*. . .but that was the last week of May, first week of June. But I guess thats about when it is this year . . so. . .Could be HOT!

:eek:
over 100?
ratlesnakes?

Sounds fun, I`m getting that rad!

Whats the best way across Nevada from Utah to California? I wanna hit Cali (on the way back)where
I-80 crosses the Nevada-Cali border. I looked up scenic routes and apparently it is kind of a wasteland through the middle with not a whole lot to see.
The route 50 is called the loneliest Hwy in North America, yikes. It`s either that or Route 80, what`s better, anyone know/have opinion?

-edit, I-80 it is, seems to be the quickest way, and it`s 19 hours to the coast, so I can`t take my time getting there anyway, if I want to explore the coast..-

-thanks

Bar-m Chuckwagon 7 miles north on191 435-259-2276
I dont think it would work tho. Gun fights at7:00 supper at 7:30 SHARP, live western show after dinner. It would be kinda hard to have a raffle and tell trail stories at a dinner theater.:( Did Moab Brewery have a seperate conference room?

I don't think that the gun laws are all that much more strict than any other state. I'm sure you can get into trouble if you have one, just like you could in any state, but I think if you use your best judgement you will be OK. I haven't had enough of a problem with snakes to carry a gun. In all the years I've spent in the Utah desert I've only come face to face with a rattler once. I froze and even if I had a gun I wouldn't have been able to use it, but I guess it would have been more effective than my fishing pole. :)

Originally posted by AspenX
Did Moab Brewery have a seperate conference room?

Moab Brewery never wanted to take advance reservations.

haven't had enough of a problem with snakes to carry a gun.

That's cool... I was just asking becasue I know that some of the Western states have a freer outlook on this issue than some of the Eastern states.

When I hunted in Wyoming, I would usually encounter at least 3 or 4 rattlers a day, especially when moving up the draws for mule deer, and they were usually pretty ticked off. I move pretty fast for an old man... (Doesn't hurt that I was league champ and a nationally ranked shooter in bullesye and speed events with the .45! - loved the bowling pin matches - 5 pins - 4' x 8' table - blow the whistle - draw from the holster - clear the table - stop the clock... 3.83 seconds was my fastest time.)

I'll refrain, especially in light of the fact that a lot of our wheeling is in or near a national park.

Beaver pelts and moose figurines, lol..... that'd be interesting to hang above the fireplace at our new home :D Nah, we're not asking for anything except the honor of witnesses.

[ EDIT ]....I've just been reminded that we are taking an extremely long vacation and gas cards would be a thoughtful gift :D

Dino footprints there won't help either one of you, because Utah has dino prints in the same formation as human prints. Think over that one, lol. Yep, the earth could be just 7,000 years old and God put them both there together just to mess with everyone's minds :D

This actually corresponds with something I am thinking about for Sunday: about my third idea, lol. I am now thinking of keeping Lockhart Basin on Monday since the trail description doesn't say that much specifically about the scenery, though I am sure it is great. I was thinking of what the best fun trail would be for Ashli to experience as a sightseer/tourist and taking her on it for Sunday and letting her drive the trails too.

Klondike Bluffs and Tower Arch (trails #1 and #2 in the Wells book) are both in Arches Natl Park, and allow very close access to several famous arch formations that all the other tourists in their RVs have to either read about or look at through binoculars.... they also have dino prints right on the trail, you drive right to them and beside them. A stock Explorer can run the trails. I'm thinking of a stocker run Sunday to do those two trails and maybe Gemini Bridges.

I know a lot of you haven't been to Moab before so if you are interested in that please post and let me know and I'll be glad to lead that run instead of doing Lockhart or a BigDawg run on Sunday. This would be a fantastic "4x4 family tourist" trail day instead of a hardcore 4x4 run for those who might want to try it. Make no mistake - they are still fun 4x4 trails, just not hardcore.

My other thought concerns Friday, since I kind of took that over by planning a wedding. I'd still want everyone to have a good time and am trying to figure out how to interest those who have been to Top of the World a gazilliontimes already with a good time. If you don't want to go again I know there will probably be some who want to run something else, but for those who do want to go to Top of the World, how about this.....

The whole group does TOTW first - I know, that's a lot of vehicles - with the stockers taking the counterclockwise loop to the top and the more capable ones taking the tougher way clockwise (I have no idea where we would all park, lol). After the wedding, as many as want to can return via Rose Garden Hill backwards - as far as I remember, stock vehicles should be able to negotiate that trail except for that hill, and we would be going down it instead of up it. When everyone goes down it, the BigDawgs can turn around and play going up it for awhile. Then we continue on, and if time permits, continue onto Thompson Canyon on the way back into Moab.... if time does not permit, or if some want to try another trail after Rose Garden Hill is finished, it would be easy to bail out on Onion Creek trail which is nothing much more than a 9 or 10 mile dirt road straight back to the highway.

I think the entire group would be capable of doing this, plus get new trails in that no one except me has done yet, and give the BigDawgs some fun at a HUGE major obstacle on Rose Garden Hill..... however that's a lot of vehicles in the group, and a good reason to give whomever wants to leave options to bail out three different times after each of the trails are finished.

I'm just thinking aloud, someone chime in and tell me I'm crazy :D

OK your crazy!! But so am I so what does bail mean its not in my dictionary!:D

Originally posted by hvac man
The "tip toe" trail basicly just follows along side the main trail. It is basicly the route you take if you want to bypass the obsticals.

If it's that close and easy to stay on, I really am starting to like that idea of having two different groups on side by side trails..... that would make a great Saturday :)

Originally posted by ld50

Whats the best way across Nevada from Utah to California? I wanna hit Cali (on the way back)where
I-80 crosses the Nevada-Cali border. I looked up scenic routes and apparently it is kind of a wasteland through the middle with not a whole lot to see.
The route 50 is called the loneliest Hwy in North America, yikes. It`s either that or Route 80, what`s better, anyone know/have opinion?

I will be doing this route both ways - there and back. :D

I usually take I-80 there from SFBay area, and hwy50 back SFBay area to break up the trip. Hwy 50 is interesting - 150 miles between towns on the eastern end. there is national park right at the Nevada/Utah state line on Hwy 50 I've been meaning to stop and look at, so I may do that this time around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I usually take I-80 there from SFBay area, and hwy50 back SFBay area to break up the trip. Hwy 50 is interesting - 150 miles between towns on the eastern end. there is national park right at the Nevada/Utah state line on Hwy 50 I've been meaning to stop and look at, so I may do that this time around.

hmmm, I`m ascairt of hwy 50 :eek:
When are you heading back?

Nah, we're not asking for anything except the honor of witnesses.

-I already skinned a beaver, darn it. Lol, kidding, kidding.

Utah has dino prints in the same formation as human prints. Think over that one, lol. Yep, the earth could be just 7,000 years old and God put them both there together just to mess with everyone's minds

That`s for another thread, but you see, when a dinosaur hit some rough spots in it`s life, like having it`s children eaten or best friend stepped on, the lord carried them through it, hence, you will see human prints behind them in the sand. :D

-Since I have no idea what trails to run, I`m going to play it by ear. I actually might stick to easier runs since it`s my first time and I`ll just be taking in the natural surroundings and stuff. Plus, my truck still has to see me through a couple thousand more miles of sightseeing before getting home. I definitely don`t want to spend my extra time sitting in Moab waiting for repairs!
I`d love to see some of the bigger trucks in action, and of course I gotta touch the pumpkin for good luck.
I`m interested in hearing what kind of accents you guys have too, since of course I don`t have one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back