Check Engine Light P0174 and P1151 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light P0174 and P1151

Jlivi21

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I drive a 1996 Explorer V6 5 speed. A few months ago, my check engine light came on with the codes P0174 and P1151. My gas mileage is horrible, dropping to about 13 mpg. There is also a shutter/buck-like that happens sometimes. I have changed the O2 sensor with a Ford sensor, cleaned the MAF and IAC. I took it to the garage where they checked for a vacuum leak, but found no obvious ones. I have been doing some research and found two TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins). One is from 1999 saying that the computer will throw my two codes, and what I'm guessing is the codes for bank 1. This will happen with or without noticable driveablilty problems. The other is from 1998 for exterior lighting that will throw the same codes. I called Ford, but they basically ignored what I had to say and told me to bring it in to check for a vacuum leak. They want to charge me $93 for something that may not be the problem! If anyone has had or is having this same problem, I will greatly appriciate any input! Thank you!!

It could ba as simple as a bad connection in the 02 sensor circuit.

The PCM connector is on the passenger side firewall, held in with a center bolt ( 10 or 11 mm)

Disconnect the battery ( to clear the code and prevent damage) loosen the bolt to remove the connector, and reconnect it.Sometimes the act of re seating a connector will restore function.

Reconnect the battery and drive.

If the code comes back, you might take the PCM out, remove the cover and look for bad solder joints.

The p1151 and p0174 are connected, but I believe it is due to a bad wire--connection ( check the 02 sensor harness) , or PCM.

p1151=lack of 02 sensor switching.
po174= the sensor "reporting" a lean condition.

Hope this helps.

update?

Back