• Register Today It's free!

CHECK ENGINE light

expHendrix47

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
i was driving down the road today and my check engine light came on...it came on the 2nd day we bought the truck, and they said it was the catalytic converter and replaced it under warranty, well no i have no more warranty and it just cost 600 dollars for wheel bearings, axle bearings, and brakes to be replaced in ONE of the rear tires, and it's making a clicking noise which seems to be coming from the transfer case...i'm getting really fed up with this thing...to only have 76,000 miles on it, this is ridiculous...if anyone can tell me how to get that check engine light off, or what it could be...please let me know...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A check engine light only means a code has been set. If you read the code it will tell you what system produced it. That is JUST a hint. Do a search on here for CEL, Check Engine Light, Scanner etc... you have some homework ahead of you my friend, but I am confident with your proper input we can help you thru this! We need a lot more info though,and you need some more knowledge to give us that input. It can be fun - knowledge is power !

have the truck scanned for codes. Autozone does it for free and most places will probably charge you like $50-70 to have it scanned. Post the results on here and I'm sure you'll be able to pinpoint it. Most times it'll be caused by the 02 sensor or MAF sensor.

The CEL can be triggered by many different sources' scan for the code, don't assume anything.

Good luck.....

Where in NY are you from?

BTW, just a general question about the CEL. When you guys got a CEL, did it just come on and stay on or did it flash? I had never had one until my motor blew and it was flashing at me.

Usually when the CEL flashes it means that a sensor is not currently reading correctly. When the CEL is on constant it usually means a code is stored and all sensors are currently reading correct.

Back