Check Fuel Cap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Fuel Cap

polarisman

Reaction score
City, State
Millerton, Pa
So I have had my trac (2001 w/72,000) a few weeks now and for the second time my "Check Fuel Cap" light has come on. The first time I checked the cap and unhooked the battery to reset. It was fine for about two weeks, the other day it came back on. I have searched this and other sites about this and have checked common problems noted. The issue I found (maybe) is with the back evap canister. I dropped the tire and canister box. Everything seemed fine except on the back area. One side (by spare tire) has a rubber hose on it, the other has a place that looks like a hose should be hooked to it (about a 3/4" diameter plastic tube an inch or so long), but there is nothing there. I looked around and did not find a lonely hose... I assume this hooks to something, or is it just where air "breathes" from? I did not take a picture (I know), but I already put the tire back as well so I won't get one tonight.

Thanks!

Have you tried changing the cap? I believe Ford fuel caps have a reputation for going bad. My friend's 2002 Sport Trac last year when he took it to his local inspection station fuel filler cap failed. So we headed down to Napa to get a new one and then it passed inspection.

Back