"Check Gauge" Light - Fuel related | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Check Gauge" Light - Fuel related

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue with their ST... mines a 2002...the "gas light" seems to be shady, its like one day it will come on and I can park it at work then 8hrs later when I get off the light is off and will stay off for maybe a day or so..its like its jumping around or something..i just get scared cuz I never know when its REALLY low

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the gauge not fluctuate as well?

the gauge seems to move up and down just fine..its just like once it gets down low enough to make the light come on, that it will come on and off at random times, so I'm left guessing if I really need to stop and get gas or not

there is no gas light just check gauge light i thought the same thing till i relized the check gauge light was coming on because of stuck thermostat check all gauges

Yes the Check Gage light WILL come on when your gas gauge gets down to right at empty. This is basically an idiot light that comes on when one of your gauges reaches the point that the factory thinks you need to do something and have not been watching the real gauges.

Yea I get that the "check engine" light comes on to indicate "low fuel" acting as a fuel light...my issue is..like today it came on while driving on the highway..fuel gauge showing nearly empty..so the light came on as it should...problem is..when I get off at 10pm I could almost put money on it that when I go out to leave tonight the gauge will have moved up a bit and the light will be gone..and will come back after a bit of driving..thats where i'm confused :scratch:

Are the spots where you are parking perfectely level? Maybe an inline? I drive everyday in a very hilly area(mile long hills) and can watch the fuel gauge go up and down as I drive. My driveway is on an incline. I get in to go to work and think..cool I have just enough gas to get to work. Get out on the level road and..nope. But the gauge only take a minute or two to be accurate again so maybe this is not what you are experiencing

yep...perfectly level each time lol..its weird!!

I know mine is really funky too. Its accurate up to 1/4 tank of gas and then I don't know when the hell it is time to get gas. I just get gas at a 1/4 tank I guess.

Back