Check your Facebook account, you migh have been hacked | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check your Facebook account, you migh have been hacked

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Today I received phone calls from John Rock and Rick asking if I was alright. Seems like John supposedly was chatting with me early this morning on Facebook and I said I got robbed in London. Well, I've never been out of the US in my life so I checked my Facebook and I couldn't sign in.

Facebook has a nice little feature though, it sends an e-mail to the address associated with your Facebook asking to confirm changes. Looks like whomever hacked my account not only tried to add a new e-mail address, but also changed my password. By denying the changes the first thing I had to do was change the password on my primary e-mail address and Facebook accounts and then confirm the information of my account for another of my e-mail addresses which I added as a secondary address to protect me, I also set my security settings, so no one looking at my Facebook page could see my e-mail address

My advice, change your passwords every so often and hide your e-mail address from general view.

I even changed my EF password because Rick was concerned that my EF account was conpromised and since I'm a moderator alot of my personal information would be found if someone had hacked my account.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have to worry. I don't have a Facebook acct and I won't have one for those reasons plus may others.

SoBeLover's hacker was chatting with me on FB.

SoBeLover: i am in some kind of deep **** right now.
John_Rock: why?
SoBeLover: i am stranded in london. Got mugged at gun point last night all cash, credit card and phone was stolen of
John_Rock: really?
SoBeLover: It was a Brutal Experience but Thank God we still got my life and passport saved
SoBeLover: but
John_Rock: but what?
John_Rock: I'm glad to hear that you are ok.
SoBeLover: my return flight leaves in few hours but having troubles sorting out the hotel bills
John_ROck: did you call your family?
SoBeLover: i don't want anyone to panic; I want you to keep it that way for now.
SoBeLover: Are you there?
SoBeLover: ???
John_Rock: How long have you been in London?
SoBeLover: 2 days back
SoBeLover: plz
SoBeLover: i need your help now
John_Rock: what's the hotel # where you are at so I can call you?
SoBeLover: OK
SoBeLover: +447024037995
SoBeLover: plz
SoBeLover: ???
John_Rock: What section do you moderate on EF?

Then her FB account went offline.

In the mean time I had gotten her cellphone # from the moderator database and called and left a voicemail.
I had started a thread in the Moderator section where Rick, Turdle and I were discussing the possibilities.

And this should come as no shock, that if you Google that phone # it shows up on a Scam database website.

http://www.scamdex.com/scam-database/E/scam-email-01432.php

ADDRESS: 2 Salisbury Avenue
Colchester Essex CO3 3DN UK.
TELEPHONE: +447024037995
Fax: 447030403516

Dear Sir,
I KNOW THIS WILL COME TO YOU AS A SURPRISE BECAUSE YOU DO
NOT KNOW ME I AM MR.MICHAEL TAYLOR, THE SON OF THE FORMER
LIBERIA PRESIDENT MR. CHARLES TAYLOR. MY FAMILY AND I IS ON
EXILE. PLEASE, I WANT YOU TO HELP ME CLEAR THIS PACKAGE THAT
IS ALREADY IN AMERICA WHICH I SHIPPED THROUGH DIPLOMATIC
MEANS WITH THE HELP OF A DIPLOMAT BUT THE CONTENTS OF THE
PACKAGE ALL IN BILLS, BUT THE DIPLOMAT DOES NOT KNOW THAT IT
IS MONEY THAT I HAVE IN THE PACKAGE.

ALL I WANT YOU TO DO FOR ME NOW IS THIS, GIVE ME YOUR
MAILING ADDRESS, YOUR PRIVATE PHONE, YOUR COMPANY NAME WITH
ADDRESS AND OTHER MODALITIES WILL BE DISCUSSED AS SOON AS
YOU GET

BACK TO ME.

YOURS FAITHFULLY,
MICHAEL TAYLOR.

Geeze what a day

I'm not taking any chances My 5 e-mail addresses and the 8 web sites I visit the most have had their passwords changed and no two are the same

Did you get to see Big Ben while you were in London?:D

No FB here too. Only the wife has one. Good point about changing password on a regular basis. It's really hard these days too, because we have so many thing that need passwords.

I remember when I worked for shoes we had have 5 or 6 password and they all had to be different, and had to be changed every 30 days or so. It really got stupid because you just can't remember all that, on top of it changing all the time. So everybody had there passwords written downon a piece of paper or in a excel sheet labeled "passwords". It's really kind of was stupid. Whats the point if you have to write them all down somewhere:rolleyes:

Right now my Facebook account is disabled because of this matter. This was the e-mail they sent me

Hi Sandy,

Your account has been temporarily suspended for security purposes. Our systems indicate that your Facebook account has been compromised by cybercriminals attempting to impersonate you. These criminals often will try to trick your friends into sending them money by claiming that you are stuck in a far away location and need assistance. It is possible that your email account was compromised as well. As such, we have sent this email to all email accounts recently associated with your account. Obtaining access to a victim's email is one of the primary ways these cybercriminals have been operating. Please take the following steps to regain control of your account:

1. Select new, unique passwords for any email addresses associated with your Facebook account.

2. Respond to this email with the answer to your security question:
What time were you born?

3. Closely follow the instructions provided in our follow up email. We also encourage you to visit the following page for more information about Facebook security and how to report suspicious material: http://www.facebook.com/security

Thanks,
Facebook Security

I was a victim of what is called a 419 scam, where a criminal will get ahold of your account and change the password and pretend to be you trying to get money.

So now I wait for them to get this resolved and because this has happened alot recently, I don't know when I'll have access to my account back.

Hopefully they'll take care of it quickly. Best of luck with this.

hmmm... interesting what these ****** bag hackers can do. I will tell you this... if ANYONE gets an IM from me, it is not me. I don't do chat or IM.

I heard this on the news not to long ago of this type of scam. At least it was caught in time and none of your friends fell for it.

well aparently your FB scammer tried to contact me thru your account as well, just a instant message attempt, but i was at work and could not answer,,

they just said hello, and i did not answer ,
it appeared on my screen next time i signed in,,

Hopefully they'll take care of it quickly. Best of luck with this.

Got access to my account today so I'm happy

Sounds good:chug:

Back