Check your PTU fluid level! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check your PTU fluid level!

2 quarts is even more concerning. If you have the 3.5L engine, transmission fluid capacity is 10.9 qts or 11.6 if you have the towing package.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When searching for leaks that dont seem present you can get some of those oil dry pads that are white and slide them under it might help see a tiny leak. But if you have gone 10k and its the same on the stick i would also assume it was never checked or checked/filled wrong.

Getting ready to drain and refill my ptu, how many Oz. Is my 2019 ptu supposed to have in it? I currently have 32k on the vehicle.

Getting ready to drain and refill my ptu, how many Oz. Is my 2019 ptu supposed to have in it? I currently have 32k on the vehicle.
Capacity is shown in the Owner's Manual and depends on which engine you have.

Peter

18oz

I have a question. New here not sure if this is the correct place but….

Is there a way to check the fluid level of the PTU?

This is by far the newest vehicle I’ve owned and so far I love it just trying to figure out the small stuff I’ve not delt with before. Thanks for any info.

For the PTU the fluid should be even with the bottom of the fill hole. Takes about 1/2 quart of 75w140. If its not leaking anywhere there should be no reason to have to top it off. If your going through the trouble you might as well do a drain and fill. About every 20,000 miles the fluid should be changed. Some do every 15k, but I wouldn't go beyond 30k.

imagen2.jpg

This is by far the newest vehicle I’ve owned and so far I love it just trying to figure out the small stuff I’ve not delt with before. Thanks for any info.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you change the Terrain Management System in order to engage AWD? Just curious as there really isn't a separate switch to do that. The system should automatically engage AWD when it senses that it's needed.

Peter

The PTU on the 2013 may have a fill plug or there may be a level sensor which acts as a fill hole after removing the sensor obviously. Its basically like checking the fluid level on a differential unit.. stick something safe in there to see where fluid is at.

If your 2013 is like mine with over 100k miles the PTU is probably closer to empty by now.

The PTU yes it has 144,x.. miles. How hard is it to add fluid? Any decent video recommendations or write ups on how to drain and fill?

The PTU on the 2013 may have a fill plug or there may be a level sensor which acts as a fill hole after removing the sensor obviously. Its basically like checking the fluid level on a differential unit.. stick something safe in there to see where fluid is at.

If your 2013 is like mine with over 100k miles the PTU is probably closer to empty by now.

Also if there is a level sensor it would indicate if the fluid level is low correct? I’ve never delt with this lol. I’m pretty mechanically inclined, I’ve always worked on my own stuff. Just never anything this new. My last vehicle was a 07 Edge that was FWD. As I said before any video or write up suggestions on the PTU stuff is appreciated greatly!!

Your thread was merged with this one. Good luck.

Peter

There are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to change the fluid. I personally have only done it once about 10k miles ago when I had the exhaust apart to replace turbos. On my car there is a fill and drain plug. I filled it back up using the vent pipe. That's a modification you can do. Again, YouTube can show you how to set that up. Its easier to watch a video than type it all out haha. It is much easier to drain with the exhaust apart at least on my car it is.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to change the fluid. I personally have only done it once about 10k miles ago when I had the exhaust apart to replace turbos. On my car there is a fill and drain plug. I filled it back up using the vent pipe. That's a modification you can do. Again, YouTube can show you how to set that up. Its easier to watch a video than type it all out haha. It is much easier to drain with the exhaust apart at least on my car it is.
Thank you!! Does it take a certain 75W140 like synthetic or not?

Thank you!! Does it take a certain 75W140 like synthetic or not?
i dont own a 5th gen, but imo syn>dino. brand usually doesn tmatter unless it meets spec. i like valvoline and mobil and amsoil personally for fluids, though usually for me m1/valv are the best balance of cost/quality

i dont own a 5th gen, but imo syn>dino. brand usually doesn tmatter unless it meets spec. i like valvoline and mobil and amsoil personally for fluids, though usually for me m1/valv are the best balance of cost/quality
10-4! Thank you!!

10-4! Thank you!!
hopefully someone who actually owns a 5th gen will chime in though! i own a 2nd gen, but for fluids i will always use full syn. i assume the ptu is no different, but well see

It is 75w140. I used Mobil 1 synthetic

The PTU is a sealed unit meaning there is no where for air to escape when filling (unless u remove fill plug/sensor). It can take a while to fill up and that fluid smells nasty so take caution. I would not use a pump to fill the PTU either as it creates pressure and the seals are weak. I clamped a funnel to the vent hose and let the fluid fill over night (i didn't remove fill plug).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back