Checking for noises | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Checking for noises

1992 Navajo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Mazda Navajo
Hi everyone, in a few days I will be looking to buy a 2004 Explorer 4.0 4x4 with 112k miles on it. I understand that timing chain tensioners going bad are a major issue with these engines and frankly I don't want to get stuck with the bill. The truck is supposedly well maintained and has all service records available. I am wondering if there is a way I can tell if the timing chains are starting to go or not. Any help would be appreciated. Obviously if they have a receipt that says the chains have been done, this won't be a problem.

You want to hear the car start after it's been sitting for a while. Over night would be best. A cold start will allow rattle to occur if the tensioners are going bad.
If they've ran the ex prior to you showing up, it may start normal until it's again sat for a period of time.

How much do they want for it?
Look at the front upper ball joints, see if the boots are busted.
Run the defrost and all other vent settings, make sure air comes out of the appropriate vents.
Drive it down a decent hill where you can have "hard" right and left turns. Listen for what sounds like a luggy tire, or tire noise. This may indicate bad wheel bearings.

It is a used car dealer and they are asking $4900 for it, which is a pretty good price according to NADA guide. Unfortunately I think that if it has noise they will probably warm it up or pour a bunch of Lucas Oil in it to quiet it down. But I will check that other stuff and proceed with caution. Thanks for the reply.

Back