• Register Today It's free!

Chemical flush?

TequilaSnrs087

Reaction score
City, State
Chapel Hill/Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
I took the Ex to the dealer today. They had two transmission fluid change procedures to choose from. A power flush, which I did not do because my trans has 150K on it, and a "transmission service" which does not use the machine, but does use a chemical flush. My question is, can these chemical flushes be too harsh for an old transmission? I know the biggest concern with power flushes is the high pressure damaging old parts and knocking stuff loose. I'm a little worried that this chemical flush may just be a really abrasive chemical that could cause some of the same issues. They did drop the pan, but I suspect they may have done a "manual" flush using the trans pump since the bill says they filled it with 6 quarts. Any insight?

I would not be so concerned if I knew the service history of the truck. The previous owner did seem to be good about maintenance, and I don't think there is any way my transmission could be doing as good as it is had he neglected it (he towed all the time). The old fluid looked very clean, but I had no idea when it had last been changed, so I decided it would be a good idea to go ahead and take care of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't want to do a flush at all. The dealer apparently ran a chemical flush through the transmission prior to dropping the pan. They did not replace the filter. The transmission has no issues. I just want to know if anyone has any experience with these chemical flushes. I never knew they existed before today.

I would suggest that you replace the filter. If the fluid is fresh looking, and doesn't smell after driving it for a while, then reuse the same fluid. Do you know what type of fluid they used? This chart is # 34 in my list of useful threads:
trannyfluid.jpg

They used Mercon V. The fluid looks great. It did before too, so I guess the previous owner changed it recently, but not knowing, I didn't want to take the chance.

I would not use it. IMHO, regular maintenance is all you can do to keep your trans in top shape. Personally, I would insist that the dealership follow the ford-recommended procedure unless they can show that they know something the engineers that designed, engineered, tested and developed your trans don't know.

Unless you're having any problems with the transmission, a simple fluid and filter change are all that's necessary. If they tried to do anything more than that, I'd be throwing a fit!

FWIW, police cars and taxi cabs go 30,000 miles between fluid and filter changes, and they'll run 300,000 miles easily with nothing more than regular maintenance. Why anyone would choose to do anything more than that is beyond me.

-Joe

Back