• Register Today It's free!

Chip for 1st Generation Explorer

XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Wausau, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport SOHC 4X4
Hello everyone. I have been searching the threads for the past couple days on chips for explorer chips but i cant find to much information on chips for the first generations, but i did find out alot about later gens. My question is wether or not this is worth the money to mod. The only thing i could find was some one who said they called Apten and Apten said it wouldn't add to much performance. Any input would be great. Thanks :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know how much H.P. it adds but you'll definetly see a difference. Firmer shifts, increased torque and acceleration. A chip is a good thing to get to get if you have other mods. It will bring everything together.

XLT said:
Hello everyone. I have been searching the threads for the past couple days on chips for explorer chips but i cant find to much information on chips for the first generations, but i did find out alot about later gens. My question is wether or not this is worth the money to mod. The only thing i could find was some one who said they called Apten and Apten said it wouldn't add to much performance. Any input would be great. Thanks :)

Not really on a EEC4 Explorer. You can't adjust any of the transmission functions on these, or atleast the ones I've done. You can pick up some power from the better spark and fuel curves but only when using 93. Using 87 you could still see some gains but it may be limited. Most of the EEC4 tuning I've done has been for very performance orenited customers with 422 cams, ported heads, nitrous and so on.

The BIG problem on the ECC4 Explorer's and Ranger's is the lack of support for the PCM calibration codes. I have done about 20 over the last few months. Most of the codes I have or had to send the PCM's to SCT for them to download but if I have to request the code then it can take a while for SCT to request it from Ford and for them to get it in. The last calibration code request I did took two months, I've put in for another here recently and I'm still waiting.

EEC4 is like comparing Windows 3.1 to Window's 2000, yes it can be used and work well but the new operating system is much better. They can be upgraded and used, heck I've got one guy making 284rwhp and 450rwtq from a OHV 4.0 in a 93' Ranger, but it's the wait that can kill ya.

Thanks, Doug.

Great Responses. :thumbsup: Thank you.

You can pick up some power from the better spark and fuel curves but only when using 93.

so lets say i went out and purchased like Bama chip or the SCT chip for my '92. I wont see much power gain? SCT claims i would get like 19rwhp... damn you make me want to say #### it and just save my money and do a 5.8L conversion hahaha

hahah my bad when you said 93 i was thinking you were talking about the year not the gas grade.. i know the 93 engine does have more sensors and stuff, thats what i thought you were talking about

windows 3.1 to 2000 haha thats a great analogy man. what about windows 3.0 to windows 3.1? is that like a bronco II to a first gen explorer?

Don't waste your $$. A chip doesn't do much on a 1st gen. I had a superchip a while back. It only adjusts fuel & spark curves when using 93 gas. You spend more on gas & get less mileage. I had most of the bolt ons for a 94, then added the chip & had it tuned to my mods, & I didn't feel any difference.

Back