What kind of mileage do you get in your 1st generation Explorer? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kind of mileage do you get in your 1st generation Explorer?

I've been commuting to work in the EX for the last 6 months. 39 miles round trip mostly in town with only about a 6 mile stretch of highway between redlights. I'm getting 19.8 mpg for about the last ten fill ups. Not to bad considering I still have a high idle that I haven't figured out. The truck has 3.27 gears with 30"tires and a 5-speed manual. Plan to have 33" tires and 4.56 gears soon. Will post mileage after that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im rockin an average of 15-16 with the 4.88s and the 35s

I don't think there is a single first gen that gets good gas millage. Unless you change the whole engine it's probably not possible.

my 94 gets 18 intown and i got 28 on the hwy trip i just did

ex is stock other then home made cold air, with electric fan and magnaflow muffler

1994 ex with 215,000 miles on engine and trans. 3.27? gears. If I watch the tach and drive like Im not in a rush, I'll get 18 mpg. If I drive it normally and be a little more aggressive I'll get 15.

my 94 limited is now at 13.5 in the city. It was at 9.3 when I bought it. changed the t-stat got me up to about 10. Installing Warn hubs for the constantly locked ones got me to 12.5 (go figure) Now O2 sensors last week got me to 13.5. Not too bad. On the freeway I get about about 19 or so. I have gotten as high as 22, but then I installed a new muffler and it got cut a little.

Last trip I took I got 18mpg in my 91. Mixture of interstate and highways through mountain passes. I run 32" tires, 4.10 gears and a manual trans. My Explorer is also very heavy with steel bumpers, rocksliders and it has 201k on the engine.

i have 213xxx miles, manual tranny is loud as hell, 31in bfg all terrians, minors mods under the hood, short ram intake, took some stuff out and what not and i get about 18-20 mpg usually get about 320-350 a tank.

I know some people can get 30 MPG in a newer Explorer but what kind of gas mileage do you get with your 1st generation EX? (1991-1994)

Here are the Government numbers for a New 1994 Explorer. :usa:

From: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/11521.shtml

Fuel Type Regular
MPG (city) 15
MPG (highway) 20
MPG (combined) 17

When I first got my used 94 EB Explorer with 174 K miles it got as little as 12-14 MPG. I was lucky to go 270 miles on a tank. (13.5 MPG) :(

After some obviously needed repairs and maintenance and even some mods I have gotten the mileage up to 18-23+ MPG. :) Now at 261+ K miles.

What kind of MPG do you get in your (High mileage) 1st Generation Explorer?

250 miles per full tank, but have it lifted w/ 33" tires and 230k miles on org motor

I get about 16 to 18 mpg but I am stock and not have very many mods.

My explorer is stock 4wd LTD manual with x45k mi (prob. 245k).

60-70 with cruise on mostly flat highway (~200 mi) I got almost 19mpg. It had 30.5" wheel/tire combo.
I don't have a working fuel gauge, so in the city I estimate 16 mpg and multiply by the gallons I purchase. Haven't run out of gas yet... knock on wood... so i must be in the ballpark (I haven't had the money to fill up lately so I can't give you an actual figure).

93 off-road beast 14.6

14.6 average for the last year of a daily commuter of 67 miles mostly highway but often in bumper to bumper, oh and my exploder is not set up to hyper mile:
33x12.5 bfg mudders with 5.13 gears winch 1/4 steel front bumper, heavy 3/16 square tube rear bumper with reinforced receiver hitch.... Stock engine and transmission. I track my mileage every tank with an app so I know how silly it is to use the exploder as my daily commuter ... But people do not cut me off and it is super soft ride over the not so great road of the SF bay area

130k miles. Stock exhaust with a 2.5 glasspack, 3.08 rear gear 2wd, stock height 4 door . 31x10.50 on the back 275/60-15 on the front. 22 mpg highway auto trans between 70 and 75 mph.

Completely stock. Just a very well maintained '93 Explorer.... 220,000 miles... I'm getting average mixed driving in the summer of around 17 mpg, and on long highway trips cruising around 61 mph or so I get 22 mpg.

My 93 Sport got 20...uphill, downhill, city or highway. 03 Sport gets 24 MPG.

I know some people can get 30 MPG in a newer Explorer but what kind of gas mileage do you get with your 1st generation EX? (1991-1994)

Here are the Government numbers for a New 1994 Explorer. :usa:

From: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/11521.shtml

Fuel Type Regular
MPG (city) 15
MPG (highway) 20
MPG (combined) 17

When I first got my used 94 EB Explorer with 174 K miles it got as little as 12-14 MPG. I was lucky to go 270 miles on a tank. (13.5 MPG) :(

After some obviously needed repairs and maintenance and even some mods I have gotten the mileage up to 18-23+ MPG. :) Now at 261+ K miles.

What kind of MPG do you get in your (High mileage) 1st Generation Explorer?
What all did you do to get your explorer to that MPG. I have 2 1994's , My 1st one is a sport 2wd and open diff and 3.27 gears and I can get 20 mpg all day heavy foot and all.
My 2nd which is a xlt 4wd 4 door just over 100k I cant break 15 mpg to save my life and ive done all the tricks I know. help me out would ya?
thanx wes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 92 2wd got 22.5 MPG consistently on the highway with the 5 speed and 3.27 gears open differential.

My 93 I have been messing with for the last 2 months 4x4 and 5 speed with the LS 3.73 is dependent on the speed you travel:

65 mph is 2500 in 5th gets 17.8 mostly highway has a trip reading of about 250 to 275

Checked this today
55 mph is 2000 in 5th and gets 19.8 all highway has a trip reading of 343.5 and I put in 17.3 gallons.

The difference for me going 55 mph versus 75 is 2 mpg for the positive and I get to my destination 5 minutes later than if I was to drive 65 mph. (Then again I have a CDL and tickets are twice as expensive with double points... so I choose slower.)

Back