What kind of mileage do you get in your 1st generation Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kind of mileage do you get in your 1st generation Explorer?

mawrazen

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
I know some people can get 30 MPG in a newer Explorer but what kind of gas mileage do you get with your 1st generation EX? (1991-1994)

Here are the Government numbers for a New 1994 Explorer. :usa:

From: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/11521.shtml

Fuel Type Regular
MPG (city) 15
MPG (highway) 20
MPG (combined) 17

When I first got my used 94 EB Explorer with 174 K miles it got as little as 12-14 MPG. I was lucky to go 270 miles on a tank. (13.5 MPG) :(

After some obviously needed repairs and maintenance and even some mods I have gotten the mileage up to 18-23+ MPG. :) Now at 261+ K miles.

What kind of MPG do you get in your (High mileage) 1st Generation Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

180,000 miles.
Put it this way, I haven't filled it up since last weekend, and I driven at least 30 miles everyday. But then again... since I blew up another transmission on Tuesday and it's been sitting at the shop that could be why. Anyway, on average I'm lucky to get 10. :thumbsup:

On average with mixed driving, I get about 17-18. If I do more city driving it drops to about 16-17. The best I've ever gotten in it was 23.4 mpg. Not too bad for a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick.

i got 158,000 miles on motor w/ rebuilt tranny and on the last tank got about 250 miles which im pretty sure isnt too good.but im also 16 so i probably have a different driving style.

Mine has 160,000 miles and i average 10MPG but then again i am turning 35's with stock 3.73 gears too so that don't help at all :(

266,000 miles. Original engine, it's on it's "second" transmission. Original transmission was rebuilt once, then when that went we put in a new one. So technically the tranny is on it's third build and going good.

I get a solid 15 in city, and 20 on the highway going about 65-70. I believe it'd get better though once I change out the balljoints (again...), bearings, rotors, springs, and shocks. Only reason is that everything is so worn out it won't hold an alignment. Oh yeah, and my steering has a bunch of play.

holy cow, i got only 10-12 mpg on average in the city, people have told me its because of my tire size, but also i think its cuz me check engine light comes on and i know im smelling fuel when its on, went to have that checked and they couldn't tell me any codes, they said the connecter was not compleat, the connector with one wire was missing.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have around 130k and I can go 290-300 on a tank. So, I guess I get 15mpg. Not clocked anything on the highway, but I am going to NC within a week which is a 4.5 hour drive. I will see if highway driving at 55-63mph makes a difference in gas mileage. My truck is full of all my stuff though. So it might still get around 15.

I have around 130k and I can go 290-300 on a tank. So, I guess I get 15mpg. Not clocked anything on the highway, but I am going to NC within a week which is a 4.5 hour drive. I will see if highway driving at 55-63mph makes a difference in gas mileage. My truck is full of all my stuff though. So it might still get around 15.

When I drove from Augusta to Raleigh, it was right about 4-4.5 hours. I found that in my car at least, running about 70ish, was REALLY comfortable. Engine seemed to just be purring the whole way, and the fuel gauge didn't drop to quick. I try to keep it under 2000 if possible, but depending on traffic I might go higher. I WISH I had one more gear, lol. Just one more and mileage woudl be amazing on the highway...

First tank with my 4.0 was 14 MPG (my rig weighs over 4K, not sure how much your sploders weigh) but I drove it pretty hard with all the new found torque (breaking both tires loose in the rain in a bronco II at 40 MPH without using the clutch is fairly impressive).

holy cow, i got only 10-12 mpg on average in the city, people have told me its because of my tire size, but also i think its cuz me check engine light comes on and i know im smelling fuel when its on, went to have that checked and they couldn't tell me any codes, they said the connecter was not compleat, the connector with one wire was missing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speaking of that, I get said mileage in mine with the half blown transmission, and a CEL with 3 codes I can't get rid of.

Not too shabby.

If you are getting poor mileage in your first gen 100K+ miles EX, it is probably time to replace the O2 sensors. ($100 DIY fix with Bosch O2 sensors)

O2 sensors have a life expectancy of 100,000 miles. Also clean your MAF and IAC and try some Seafoam through the intake.

If you have any CEL codes, what are they?

I have also found that the tranny modulator valve tends to fail in the 1st gen EX. (Low ATF and High engine oil level)

Good Luck! :salute:

i get a solid 18-19 mpg city and i get 24mpg highway ( really like 23.5 ( i know i could sqeez that out )

all on a rebuilt transmission and also my odometer is about to flip over to
200 k as well other than the intake coolant leak ( yeah yeah yeah i know time to fix it ...past time lol )

i'll have to take some birthday shots of her when she flips over to 200k for every body :D

124,000 miles and around 17 in town and around 22 on long trips.

275,000 km and up to 18 in the city.

In mine i get a average of 16-17 city/hwy. If i can just do a tank on hwy miles i can get 20-21 easily.

Best avg since the sas swap was 21.5 on my way to badlands in 2006.

AVG 18-20 (456 gears, and 33s) Best ever was coming down out the moutains through co springs... got almost 24 - but it was all downhill.

OK, i'll play....

my DD just got trashed BTW, but....

at 80 miles round/day (work) I'd fill up at 320 miles with gas left. I could go 400 miles/tank, but dont like running low.
No interstate BTW.. and usually am running late.. if you get my drift. :))

That's about 20-ish MPG?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, i most definitely need 02 plugs, i'm going to guess they're original in there, LOL. i'm finding signs of abuse from the previous owners everytime i do some work. exhaust was eaten through, bearings were shot, balljionts probably were bad. RAB needs replacing.

but at the doctor's say, "she's responding well to treatment" haha

Back