What kind of mileage do you get in your 1st generation Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kind of mileage do you get in your 1st generation Explorer?

yeah, i most definitely need 02 plugs, i'm going to guess they're original in there, LOL.

Been a time or two I pulled one to find scale trapped in/on it. Cleaned it up and it worked great. That's for us po' boys though!

:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1994 Limited, only mod is a high-flow air intake. 256,000 miles and I get on average 16.5 mpg city and I have a lead foot. could probably get 18 if I took it easy all the time but I like getting from point a to point b quickly lol

1991 4 door manual trans all stock with 64k miles on the clock I got about 20mpg average. Lowest was 17.

This was before the wreck. I don't think it'll change much when I'm done putting her back together though. Can't wait since I'm stuck driving a '00 grand prix with a 3.1L getting worse economy than my SUV with a 4.0L :-( Yeah... there's a gremlin in that pontiac.

~rev

I used to get 10mpg but now get about 5mpg.

i get 11mpg city now with stock 3.73 and 33s but im putting 4.88s in this week so we will see after that:rolleyes: and everything is brand new except the body

92 Mazda Navajo

I have a 92 Mazda Navajo OHV with 197,000 Miles when I first got it was getting around 8-10 mpg after a tune up and a few other repairs it got 15 mpg then I replaced the maf and got close to 20 mpg now after a homemade mod I am getting 73 mpg I made a homemade hydrogen kit for the truck and hooked it into the vacum line going to the throttle body who would have thought that a lil research and about 40 bucks worth of materials and around 3 gallons of water could do so much but im here to tell you it works well

I have a 92 Mazda Navajo OHV with 197,000 Miles when I first got it was getting around 8-10 mpg after a tune up and a few other repairs it got 15 mpg then I replaced the maf and got close to 20 mpg now after a homemade mod I am getting 73 mpg I made a homemade hydrogen kit for the truck and hooked it into the vacum line going to the throttle body who would have thought that a lil research and about 40 bucks worth of materials and around 3 gallons of water could do so much but im here to tell you it works well

What I would like to see pics and links for this

i'll believe it if I see it.

aldive's explorer get's 34MPG, and he added a hydrogen kit, and didn't see that much of an improvement.

on a first gen, i'd say its impossible.

please don't let this thread be destroyed with arguing about the mythical HHO bs..

anyway, my stock '93 with 210,000 miles, and original transmission, on 31" BFG AT's gets 15mpg in town/mountain driving (my daily work commute) and about 20 on the freeway if I'm light on the pedal.

it gets 17.5mpg on the freeway, towing my 17" big-block powered fiberglass jet boat.

and 15mpg freeway towing this 18 foot 10,000lb (capacity) big tex tandem trailer (empty) even empty though it's quite heavy.
explorertrailer.jpg

73mpg I dont believe that at all unless the truck wasn't running and rolling down a 73 mile mountain then maybe!!hahhaha

Really. I would love to see your prove this.

In mine i get a average of 16-17 city/hwy. If i can just do a tank on hwy miles i can get 20-21 easily.

Best avg since the sas swap was 21.5 on my way to badlands in 2006.

dang how in the world are you getting 16/17 mpg... i have a 4.5in lift with 4.56 gears and 33in tires and im only seeing 11mpg at the very very best no matter how easy you drive it... is something wrong here??

drove from denver. co(5280 ft) to breckenridge, co(about 10000 feet or more) and got about 17mpg with all the mixed city/highway, and up and down steep grades. 320 miles on a tank

i used to get 300 to a tank, now with the 31 MT's im lucky to get 260, 3.55's such a$$

I'm getting on average 12mpg mainly city, with 155000 miles in my 93 XLT. It seems low to me.

You gotta also remember that a first gen new only stated that it got 15-20mpg. You start changing tire size, adding lift and 100k+ miles of course mpg will drop. If your MPG is really getting bad change the fuel pressure regulator. Did mine and it made a huge differance.

My truck is all stock, I don't know if I should be worried if I'm getting 12mpg or not? Now if you fuel pressure regulator acts up, is that a big difference in gas millage?

I used to get 10mpg but now get about 5mpg.

might as well stick a 572 in there. youll get about the same with alot more power

but anyways i got 18 before the lift, 3.73 open diffs, now i got a 5.5 inch lift with 33s and i get 11, and even less on the highway.

My truck is all stock, I don't know if I should be worried if I'm getting 12mpg or not? Now if you fuel pressure regulator acts up, is that a big difference in gas millage?

It could make a big differance if its leaking fuel into vacuum system. Mine went completly out just last week and flooded the vacuum system so much that I had fuel pouring out the intake and stranded on side of the road. I can't really tell you how much differance it made because now my tranny died, but before tranny died I got way better miles after I replaced it. Truck ran great but it was because I was dumping fuel into the air intake which I guess made up for the low fuel pressure. It's a little pricey at about $65 from Autozone but you can find it cheaper on e-bay, I didn't have time to shop on e-bay sitting on the side of the road. For those of you getting really bad mpg it curtainly won't hurt any.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now is that fairly easy to check for?

Back