• Register Today It's free!

choosing headers

speedster101

Reaction score
City, State
Libertyville, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
i have a 1991 4L and i want a bit more performance out of it and i've headers are substantial.

i've donesome research the only header i've heard u guys buy are the JBAs. IMO those are a little pricey for a 17 year old car. so i was wondering if there are any cheaper options. heres a couple i found that are more in my price range. also i have a cat back exhaust with 2.25" pipeing off of a flow master and when i put the headers in ill also install a single cat.I have a kkm intake on a 5.0 MAF too if that helps

heres some i found

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...907830+4294839915+4294924928+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...907830+4294839915+4294924928+115&autoview=sku

thanks for your help. oh and if i do this mod how much hp increas should i expect?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the gains may be at most vor an ohv like 15 or so and thats pushing it. If i may offer a suggestion the best route for you, as far as out of the box performance goes, may be to get an X3 programmer. We have a sponsor on here who does alot of tunes for alot of people (including me ^_^) The guys name is james henson and his site is www.hensonperformance.com He can hook you up with an X3 programmer and 3 custom tunes for $389. I personally got an 87 an 89 and a 93 tune all street/performance and i love it. The tranny shifts firmer, it has better shift points and definately has more power. all in all definately more fun to drive and worth the investment. His number is on his site (top right corner) just call him up and he'll help you get what your looking for and what you need to do. ^_^

thats awsome!! thanks guys... i've been looking into a programer and if i've had little luck. oh by x3 do u mean BMW x3 because thats what my mom drives.

No that's the name of the programmer.

SCT X3

Headers are a fine addition and will get you about the same as a tune. So do both!

I was messin around yesterday lookin for headers for the 5.0 and came across some 4.0 headers by accident.

Hedmans I think the model was 89400.

i have a 1991 4L and i want a bit more performance out of it and i've headers are substantial.

i've donesome research the only header i've heard u guys buy are the JBAs. IMO those are a little pricey for a 17 year old car. so i was wondering if there are any cheaper options. heres a couple i found that are more in my price range. also i have a cat back exhaust with 2.25" pipeing off of a flow master and when i put the headers in ill also install a single cat.I have a kkm intake on a 5.0 MAF too if that helps

heres some i found

thanks for your help. oh and if i do this mod how much hp increas should i expect?

i run the pacesetter and love them,get the ceramic coated ones or do what i did and make sure to sand all the black paint or sandblast the black paint off and buy GOOD flame proof high temp paint and paint them.and if you dont have an egr oil pan drain plugs fit in the holes to plug them up.

I had a set of pacesetters in a ranger they were great even without the ceramic coat. fit nice and last long!

No that's the name of the programmer.

SCT X3

Headers are a fine addition and will get you about the same as a tune. So do both!

I was messin around yesterday lookin for headers for the 5.0 and came across some 4.0 headers by accident.

Dont even bother with the headmans. I have a set and they are crap! The cylinder head flanges warp easily and arent even welded correctly (the pipes come past the edge of the flange) so they have to be machined down in order for them to seal properly. I had my drivers side machined and it fixed it for a little while but now its leaking again.

ah but can headers reset your shift points your tranny firmness and such other stuff? ^_^ lol its all good tho both are good mods im planing on hetting a set of headers for my 5.0 after i get a shift kit. Unfortunately only headers available for 5.0 are torque monster headers. Great headers but cost 689 bucks lol. Anyway so yea shift kit honestly is the better mod :thumbsup:

Back