chugging , possible fuel filter/troubleshoot help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

chugging , possible fuel filter/troubleshoot help

Premier

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
ok, so i just replaced the fuel filter because i was getting a sputtering/chugging when i would drive the explorer.

I bought a fuel filter removal tool set, new filter, some fuel injector cleaner, and MAF cleaner.

replaced the fuel filter and the old fuel (from inside the filter) came out black!! so i go to drive it around, and i threw two codes:

P0174
fuel trim bank two condition
(then it lists possible casues)

P0171
fuel trim bank one condition
(then it lists possible causes)

basically its saying a possible maf/fuel pressure/o2 sensor problem.

if anyone could help me narrow it down, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also, the chugging starts at around 2300-2500rpm's. i can get it to go past that, but i have to feather the throttle

Have you checked the fuel pressure? If so what was the pressure?

I'm guna guess fuel pump. Check your fuel pressure

Report your fuel pressure and then we can further help.

Good luck ....

ok, checked the fuel pressure. it was at 30# the whole time, until i turned the truck off. then it went to 32-33#.

what is normal? any feedback?

thanks

edit: in the thread above, his is 10# higher?

well, thanks for the help.. :p

called ford and they said that 40-42 is normal.. so im guessing its a fuel pump issue. ford said it was a 4hr job.. 500$ :(

I did the fuel pump in my 93. It involved the removal of the fuel tank. Someone on here cut a hole under the rear seats somewhere to gain access to the fuel pump. Do a search.

There's a strong possibility that the fuel pump is bad. But it is also possible that a bad regulator or even a bad relay is causing the low pressure. I would start by replacing the relay because they are cheap and easy. If the relay is very worn internally it will cause a lot of extra resistance and will lower the current that's going to the fuel pump, causing low pressure. Unfortunately there's no good way to test a regulator but you should pull off the vacuum line going to it and see if there's gas in it. Also with the car running did you try to pull this line off to see how it effected the fuel pressure? I would try these things first because I have done the fuel pump on my '92 and trust me you won't enjoy it.

if you have to do the pump and are good with a grinder, just cut an access panel to remove the pump. im sooooo glad i did that lol. there a thread on here about how to do it and where to cut.

i dont know where the fuel pump relay or regulator are. i found this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187330&highlight=fuel+pump+relay

do you think its the same place on the second gen? under the black box? i dont have an owners manual.

and what about the regulator? thanks for the help/feedback!

The FPR should be on the front of the fuel rail. It's looks like a small canister with a vacuum line and a fuel line going to it. Just follow that vacuum line up to the vacuum tree. Then with the fuel pressure gauge connected and the car running pull off that vacuum line, the fuel pressure should then increase, if it doesn't then the regulator is stuck. Also if there is gas in the vacuum line to the FPR then you don't have to go any further because the diaphragm in the FPR is bad.

According to my Haynes manual the relays should be in the power distribution box, not under it.

well, i narrowed it down to the fuel pump. so i took it to ford and had them replace it. total came to almost 600$.

runs like a champ now though! plus the dealership called and asked if the problem was fixed (monday after i picked it up saturday) which was awesome.

Back