Need help - Engine Error Codes | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help - Engine Error Codes

With the caveat of "never say never" and it's corollary, "never say always"... my best guess is that with a LTFT of the numbers you are reporting you are dealing with a vacuum leak situation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is consistent with what others are suggesting. I checked the fuel trims again today and cruising with the engine at about 2000 rpm LTFT was about 5.4% for both, but hot idle was 17.9% for bank 1 and 16.4% for bank 2.

Will,

Pm me your phone number so I can give you a call :)

Jeff

I replaced the O-rings this weekend (I plan on writing a how-to later). The old ones were quite hard and were mashed flat with the surface of the upper intake. The new ones protruded out and were much more pliable. My long term fuel trims are now right around 0.0%, so that tells me that was the problem. I am glad that it is fixed.

Thanks for sharing the results with us. I'll look forward to your photo thread !

Congrats. Well done.

Ironically, I have this same code on my 96 Eddie Bauer,and I feel that this may be a good way to start, by replacing $26 gaskets, after checking for any other leaks, of course. I have cleaned my MAF.
I do not have a code reader or scanner, but I did have an autozone extract these codes. My fuel mileage is also really bad (about 9 MPG), perhaps because computer tries to compensate by adding fuel?

I enjoyed your write up.

Back