Cigar lighter power off with key off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cigar lighter power off with key off

Squirrels

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
How can I get my 97 XLT cigar lighter on the dash to only operate when the ignition is in the "on" or "acc" positions? Can i just power it from the +12v Acc wire that goes to the radio by tapping into that wire? I only use it to run my GPS and radar detector. It's a pain to have to unplug it every time i am getting out. My 96 XLT did this, and as far as i can tell was not modified.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not get a hardwire for your GPS and radar and wire it to a switched source- then they will turn on and off with your truck. One of my favorite mods. The harness is like $15 on Amazon... Power and ground, wires are now hidden (run through the dash vent) and looks super clean. :thumbsup:

IMG_0010.jpg

So... nobody smashed your window to get that GPS yet? :D
Because in some parts, if they see a GPS holder, they assume that the unit is stored in the center console.

Why not get a hardwire for your GPS and radar and wire it to a switched source- then they will turn on and off with your truck. One of my favorite mods. The harness is like $15 on Amazon... Power and ground, wires are now hidden (run through the dash vent) and looks super clean. :thumbsup:

IMG_0010.jpg

Well, I thought about it, but I am constantly switching the two between the car and truck. I just dont understand how my 96 powered off when you shut the truck off :scratch:

So... nobody smashed your window to get that GPS yet? :D
Because in some parts, if they see a GPS holder, they assume that the unit is stored in the center console.

Lol! Not yet, surprisingly. Hey Sonic,you don't by chance work at the shipyard down there do you?

I would rewire the cigar lighter into the radio wire. Just don't plan on running anything that pulls a lot of amperage through it.

Lol! Not yet, surprisingly. Hey Sonic,you don't by chance work at the shipyard down there do you?
I don't work at the shipyards but I get in there some times (contractor access badge). And I saw that even the suction mark on the windshield can "attract" - people buy those air vent GPS supports for a reason... and is not always visibility of the road :)

How can I get my 97 XLT cigar lighter on the dash to only operate when the ignition is in the "on" or "acc" positions? Can i just power it from the +12v Acc wire that goes to the radio by tapping into that wire? I only use it to run my GPS and radar detector. It's a pain to have to unplug it every time i am getting out. My 96 XLT did this, and as far as i can tell was not modified.

no according to "normal" wiring for 96. Anyways, as you know you could wire into any switched power sources (ie. hot in run... like the radio, etc) ... the worst thing that will happen is the fuse will blow if things draw too much.

Back