Class III bolt on hitch for 2011 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Class III bolt on hitch for 2011

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All,

I found an after market bolt on class III hitch for the 2011 explorer. Just ordered mine today. As of now I only plan on using it for my bike rack, but a wave runner may be in the future. I will let you know how it works.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Explorer/2011/87720.html?vehicleid=2011304890

Hey Thanks, I'd like to know how it works. I don't have a boat or trailer to pull, but I tailgate at Charger Football games and was thinking of getting a freedom grill (barbecue), that attaches to a trailer hitch.

My Draw-tite hitch just arrived I ordered it from www.877HITCHIT.COM $193. including shipping to my house here in Canada. Once I get it on I will post a picture.

Something to note, the hitch from etrailer.com states maximum trailer weight of 4,000lbs.

However, when you have an explorer without the trailer tow package, I believe the weight is only 3,500lbs towing capacity. You need to follow the manufacturer rating, not the hitch company.

Something to note, the hitch from etrailer.com states maximum trailer weight of 4,000lbs.

However, when you have an explorer without the trailer tow package, I believe the weight is only 3,500lbs towing capacity. You need to follow the manufacturer rating, not the hitch company.

Actually, it is 2,000lbs w/o tow package

what is the diff between the tow package and non? The hitch, wiring harness and trany cooler are obvious, is there any other difference?

what is the diff between the tow package and non? The hitch, wiring harness and trany cooler are obvious, is there any other difference?

musraca,

The major difference is the tow capacity. Just to clarify, economizer is correct about the tow capacity. It is as follows:

Capacities
• Standard towing capacity of 2000 lbs.
• Models equipped with the available Trailer Tow
Package — Class III feature a standard tow rating of
3500 lbs. and a maximum tow rating of 5000 lbs.

Please let me know if you have any further question I can assist with.

~Seni

You get a bigger oil cooler and a larger radiator (26mm) as well.

musraca,

The major difference is the tow capacity. Just to clarify, economizer is correct about the tow capacity. It is as follows:

Capacities
• Standard towing capacity of 2000 lbs.
• Models equipped with the available Trailer Tow
Package — Class III feature a standard tow rating of
3500 lbs. and a maximum tow rating of 5000 lbs.

Please let me know if you have any further question I can assist with.

~Seni
Right, I understand the capacity difference, but why? Is there any difference in the drive train? If not, then my guess it just the tranny cooler that is keeping the rating low?

You get a bigger oil cooler and a larger radiator (26mm) as well.
that makes sense. so if i at got a tranny and oil cooler I should be at the 5k rating...not that I intend on doing that, but nice to know if I needed to I could.

that makes sense. so if i at got a tranny and oil cooler I should be at the 5k rating...not that I intend on doing that, but nice to know if I needed to I could.

IF you buy all the upgrades that you get with the trailer tow package, then yes you will be at 5k towing. It's not whether the explorer can handle it.. it's whether it is equipped properly to not overheat (engine/tranny).

A different example with my F250. I wanted to put a plow on it but in order to do it I had to meet Ford's requirements of the plow package. Since my truck didn't have it, I had to upgrade the front springs and change out my fan clutch to a different one that would cycle on/off more due to the plow blocking the air from cooling the engine. As long as one replaces it with the packaged parts, you are equal.

Put my new hitch receiver on last weekend and it looks and works great. It took about an hour to get on, However I did have to put a couple coats of black spray paint on it the night before I installed it as it had several chips and scratches when I received it.

will try to get some pics on soon

Double check on the Ford Parts site that shows the exploded diagrams of all the parts. When I looked into buying all the Tow Package parts it was more complicated.

There are two radiators, 19mm (thick) for non-tow package, 26mm for tow package. Only the 26mm radiator has the fitting (openings) to accept the transmission cooler lines.

The transmission cooler isnt very expensive itself but without the 26mm tow package radiator its useless.

Unless Im missing something, check it out on Fordparts.com

Also wouldnt the factory Tow Package have a different vehicle wiring harness that supplied the wiring plug for the tow package? Or do all Explorers have the plug in ability?

I didnt look at the site because it required me to download some plugin and I was already in the middle of something. I would think that the tow package radiator has either tranny cooler and or the the oil cooler incorporated into it as it would be cheaper to produce and also explain the extra size. you can usually buy an after market tranny and oil cooler that clips in front of the the stock radiator. The catch is, does the non tow tranny have the fittings/plugs to install the line from the tranny & oil pan to the coolers? Its pouing out now so I cant go look : )

Back