• Register Today It's free!

Class III hitch

flash041

Reaction score
City, State
Monona WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
Got my 04 XLT about a month ago.Slowly taking care of small issues .Today I took care of one of those things,changing my class II for a class III hitch.I was in a bone yard picking up a tail light for my son's car and asked them of that had any 02-05 Explorers ,that I was looking for a hitch.Its an older lot with not too much new stuff .They told me where to look and I found 2 gen 3Explorers.The first one I looked at had a perfect factory calss III hitch!!I went back to the office and said I fouind one and how much thay wanted.They said if I took it off $50.!! A lot better that about $500 from the dealer! I said ok and went to take it off.It came off easily no rusted bolts , no rust on the hitch!!Got Home and put it on.It was a very easy swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's involved in the swap? Is it just removing 3 bolts from each side where it's bolted to the frame rails?

I've been looking to buy an 04 XLT V8 for towing and I'm finding most have the Class II hitches. The dealers service departments have been telling the sales guy that they are welded on and can't be swapped (which is confusing to me because I can't find welds).

Did you encounter any welds or could you just remove with hand tools?

I found that all factory hitches that I have incurred in the past from 1991 - 2004 were entirely bolted on.

Unless its aftermarket it shouldn't be welded on.

I belive all up till 2004 are bolted on , my 2004 is.I have viewed posts that say 2005's are welded but 20-04 are bolted.I would look at the truck you want to buy and If there are 3 bolts on each side attaching the hitch it is an easy bolt on hand tool job.

To replace the factory hitch is easy.First you must remove the bumper cover.Start taking out both tail lights by removing the two phillips screws that hold them in and pull the lights out.Then there are two bolts, one with an 8mm head and the other a 10mm head. Remove these 4 bolts ( 2 on each side ).Then on the foward bottom edge of the cover remove the two 7mm headed bolts ( one on each side). 6 Bolts total .Now remove the plastic rivets by prying the pin out of the center of the rivet.Lift the bottom edge of the covet stright up, then back, and the cover is removed.then unplug the light connector and the Six 18mm headed bolts ( three on each side).Pull the hitch stright off,may require some prying.Reverse to reinstall.

Flash041, thanks. That sounds easy enough. Now to see how easy it is to find one in a boneyard. Sounds like you hit it perfect.
I may check on new ones from Ford also as a backup. Was that $500 you mentioned for the whole job (incl labor) or just the part? Definitely won't pay that.

Just checked my 05, the class 2 hitch is bolted on not welded. I'm switching to a class 3 this week.

If I were to do this on my 05, what else would need to be done to it?

just becareful because ur using a class III on 3.55 gears and no trans cooler.

I would love to have the money, time, and knowledge to convert my mounty to a full class III w/ 3.73's, trans coolers, and new tune.

Check first. Follow the trans lines up front and see where they go. You may already have the tow package with trans cooler and wiring. Mine did. I installed class III and Ford 7 pin harness to mine - it originally had class II and 4 pin.

Check first. Follow the trans lines up front and see where they go. You may already have the tow package with trans cooler and wiring. Mine did. I installed class III and Ford 7 pin harness to mine - it originally had class II and 4 pin.

I dont have any connector, 4 pin or otherwise, i just have the class II hitch.

I have an 04 explorer limited with a 4.6 V8 and class II hitch and just bought a factory class III hitch off of one at the salvage yard.Only costs me $50 and looks like new.I was taking off the old one until I realized that this won't happen until the bumper cover is removed.It has the reverse sensors in it.What is the procedure to do this swap or am I better off to take it to the local body shop and pay the price to let a pro do it? Thanks

bumper comes off easy you can leave the harness connected for the rear sensor, just don't damage them in anyway. Like others have said its real easy about 3 screw/bolts a side those plastic things along the top, and it pulls up and out. Do it once then the next time is like only 10min.

I just read somewhere on this website that all 3rd Gens have tranny coolers from the factory.

I just recently towed over 5000lbs with my v8 Mounty, 3.55 gears, aftermarket class 3/4 hitch, and 5 inch gooseneck mount. Had to keep O/D off, otherwise the winds blew me around alittlebit....but i was surprised, it handled much better than my dads silverado 1500 with a much bigger v8 and tow package....the chevy's steering was incredibly sensative and the slightest wind caused the trailer or truck to swerve.
My mounty barely budged under pretty heavy winds....maybe that AWD helped...who knows.
I drove 4 hour round trips for 3 or 4 days back to back....temperature was fine in the truck.
Gas mileage was HORRIBLE, but it drove good for a small v8 and stock gears, and Mud Terrains,haha.

But 2004 explorers and mounaineers DEFINATELY have BOLTED hitches.

All I had to do was remove a buncha plastic screws, then take off the TailLights, and there are 2 more screws inside the taillight bay that you have to loosen in order to get the bumper off.
I didnt even have to remove the bumper completely....just moved it up out of the way JUST enough for me and my brother to slide the stock hitch off.
Then bolted the aftermarket one on.....which didnt require that it slide along the frame like the stock hitch.....i just press it up and bolt it on.
(i recommend taking some glue or sealant and sticking the Washers around the bolt holes, THEN carefully pushing the new Hitch up onto the frame, then bolting it on.
Because my towhitch came with washers,etc....

I just bought a 2004 Explorer 4.6 V8 Eddie Bauer. I just upgraded from a class II to a class III. I went to the Ford dealer and got all the factory stuff. The rear bumper does have to come off but is very easy to remove. The new hitch bolted up and the 7-pin wire harness plugged in to the factory connector behind the right taillamp. I also installed a Tekonsha electric brake controller. My Explorer was prewired and I bought the wire harness with the factory style connector from Tekonsha so the brake controller just plugged in also. It was so easy I could not believe it. Thank you Ford.
My opinion : Do Not waste your money on an aftermarket hitch. Ford parts are the only way to go.

Back