cleaned up today | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cleaned up today

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
Live in mn and its been snowing but this morning I did mothers headlight restoration and then took it.l to a car wash and washed it. Was hoping they would be more white and clear but I guess the 95 explorer headlight just came this way.

IMG_20141119_122637_zpsim5eua4v.jpg

Sitting in for dealer lobby now waiting for oil change.

IMG_20141119_133302_zpsdahujkew.jpg

Anyone else feel like the stock 95 4.0 explorer Is a little slow? Seems like Lotta cars fly right by Me during regular driving. I got a spectre air filter and that helped a bit. Thinking should I get a thrush turbo muffler next or what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

headlight restoration only goes so far on a 20 year old vehicle. to get clear lenses again you'll need to replace them. they are available (for not to much money). check eBay and/or RockAuto for prices.

headlight restoration only goes so far on a 20 year old vehicle. to get clear lenses again you'll need to replace them. they are available (for not to much money). check eBay and/or RockAuto for prices.

I see auto zone has replacement headlights for my.explorer that are fully clear (no yellow sides except 1 reflector for turn signals) looks pretty cool I think should I get it or keep what I got?

Also does Anyone know, what's the biggest size tires I can put on my stock 15s without having to change the speedo gear?

btw ford says i need a new radiator, apparently mine is leaking slowly...:S

its hard to know what to believe cus before they have said i need new wiper blades when my blades were perfectly fine, and on another vehicle the wiper blades were in crappy condition but they didn't say anything about them lol.

guess ill have to take a good look at the ol' radiator and find out. but maybe it would be nice to change out anyways since its a 20 year old car and i can probably do the work myself.

Lens restoration kits rank right up there with oil treatment potions and fuel injector “cleaners". They are cheap to replace and do wonders to the look of your truck. Nothing screams old more than hazy headlights.

Headlight assembly, including bulbs, cost me $17 each side from Rock Auto in the spring. Screw the polish...

Bill

btw ford says i need a new radiator, apparently mine is leaking slowly...:S

its hard to know what to believe cus before they have said i need new wiper blades when my blades were perfectly fine, and on another vehicle the wiper blades were in crappy condition but they didn't say anything about them lol.

guess ill have to take a good look at the ol' radiator and find out. but maybe it would be nice to change out anyways since its a 20 year old car and i can probably do the work myself.

so you can replace a radiator but not do an oil change yourself??;)

I had someone tell my son to use 40 percent, deep woods off bug spray and a rag. He did it and I was surprised to see how much better they were.

Headlight assembly, including bulbs, cost me $17 each side from Rock Auto in the spring. Screw the polish...

Bill
Rubbing compound, $3.99 and you can do your entire town's headlights.
I can't believe people actually buy headlight restoration kits??
They are nothing more then marketing 101.

Rubbing compound, $3.99 and you can do your entire town's headlights.
I can't believe people actually buy headlight restoration kits??
They are nothing more then marketing 101.

I always thought the yellowing and hazing is on the inside.

I always thought the yellowing and hazing is on the inside.
I was just about to comment, hats off to whoever can fit their hand inside that headlight housing

Bill

I was just about to comment, hats off to whoever can fit their hand inside that headlight housing

Bill

The lens on my parts car came off very easily, I just undid the clips and off they came, no heat required.

I haven't tried it on the road car yet.

The lens on my parts car came off very easily, I just undid the clips and off they came, no heat required.

I haven't tried it on the road car yet.
Generally they are sealed (US spec lenses, anyways)

Bill

Generally they are sealed (US spec lenses, anyways)

Bill

Every headlight I've come across so far has needed to be put in an oven the break the seal except for this one.

As I said, I haven't tried it on the road going car yet, just the parts car.

Back