Clear Coat? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clear Coat?

I was washing the truck today and found this on the front of the truck right above the bumper

PICT1984.jpg

Wondering what i should do about it? Its all like flaking off around it and i don't want it too get any worse. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isn't the paint warrently longer than usual or am I thinking of the rust warrenty?

00XLS said:
Isn't the paint warrently longer than usual or am I thinking of the rust warrenty?

That's the rust corrosion perforation.

My only suggestion is to have the bumper re-clearcoated. I think it's the only way to stop the rest from coming off.

Mine flaked in two small spots on my old 89 ranger right by the front wheel well. It never went any farther than that though. I has never rusted there or anything.

Its on the silver part, so unless you know its there you wouldn't notice it. Found it while washing as well. LOL

I don't know how to repair a small spot like that. I have re-cleared whole cars, but thats major work.

delamination is an evil, evlil beast.

no quick easy fix :(

Hes using big words again!!! delamination... :p

I fear the easiest fix is going to involve feathering the edges of that spot, scuffing the entire panel it's on, probably applying some base over that spot where you feathered and then clear coating the entire panel. Even that is no guarantee against it happening somewhere else on that panel in the future.

And, as usual, MONMIX is dead on with his observation.

Back