Clear Corner "SuperWhite" Bulb Help- PLEASE! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clear Corner "SuperWhite" Bulb Help- PLEASE!

I'm getting way too frustrated with this situation! I have Clear Corners and I have been trying to find "SuperWhite" Bulbs that will match my headlights. I would even get new healdight bulbs if everything matched. I just recently bought a whole round of APC SuperWhite Bulbs (2 3157's and 1 194 in each side) BUT, the bulb glass is slightly tinted blue, so when the bulbs are off in the day time, my clear corners now look blue. Has anyone tried the White LED bulbs? how do they match up with the headlights? Does anyone have any reccomendations of where i can get bulbs that will glow superwhite (not the dirty brownish white of regular clear bulbs) yet not be tinted blue? Thanks!

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

put a light coat of silver paint over them. i know thats not exactly what you wanted to hear, but i would try it before doing anything more drastic

Expo5.0- thanks for the suggestion, but you were right- that's not what i want to hear. ;) I'm returning the APC bulbs this week. Can anyone else help or have any suggestoins, or have tried the LED white bulbs? Thanks

Eric

PS- EXPO5.0- did your stock fog lights fit the X-Spec valence without any modification? thanks.

yeah, the stock fogs fit with no modification, but there was a space next to them. i filled this with cheapo fogs. i know this pic is everywhere, but heres a pic of the fogs (the stock ones are in the stock non-modified position for reference)

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 335

Expo5.0- Have you done the light coat of silver paint trick before?

Eric

this is gonna make you laugh, but i did it with blue paint so that it would match my blue tinted headlight bulbs. lol. so your trying to get clear and i'm trying to get a little blue its a little funny. anyways- it worked great, with the blue you can kind of see it a little from the front (which is what i wanted) but if you did silver you wouldn't be able to see the bulbs at all i bet. also the paint doesn't change the way the lights light up. i have stock bulbs and the turn signals still look stock at night when they are on. give it a try, just be sure not to use too much paint. later

do you have to use a special kind of paint? i want to get rid of the yellow look of my turn signal bulbs during the day.....i have the clear corners, but you can only tell they are clear from the side....

i just used some regular krylon stuff

Do you think the paint will withstand the heat of the light bulb over time?

Eric

and why would you say silver paint and not white? thanks man!

eric

i guess im just alittle confused how the light still shines well through the layer or paint...is it still as bright?

i don't know why i said silver instead of white, i guess it just seems like it would look better to me that way. as for how bright it is, you only need a light coat and it doesn't affect teh light coming through.

another quick ?

OK, I really want to upgrade my front lighting. I ordered learcorners from clearlights.com ($37), then what do I do? What sz bulbs to I need? ANd where can I get the hyperwhite bulbs to fit? It sounds like theyre hard to find according to this post. I'm confused, as always... Can you guys help? Thanks AGAIN

just take the stock bulbs from the corners and paint them blue, silver, white whatever you want with a light coat (if you don't do this your clear corners won't really look clear from the front, and if you get colored bulbs you will risk getting attention from the cops)

as for the headlights i would recommend getting some piaa superwhites if you have the money or some kind of cheaper blue beam knock off lights if thats what you want. i you search on ebay you will find tons of headlight bulbs available, later man- drew

what sz bulbs are they that we need? Is it 9006? i'll bid on some as soon as I know for sure what fits from the PIAA line, thanks

Heres a link to an auction ending today... Are these street legal, or too blue?

Dead Link Removed

thanks

those would be fine. i don't know about the legality for sure or anything, but i can almost guarantee the cops would never give you trouble with those and they would be an improvement over stock. they won't be quite as bright as the piaa's and will be a little blue, but they are about what i have in my truck right now and i like them.

bulb types-

CDim- here are the bulb numbers for the front of your X-

Each side has the following:

2- 3157's (turn signal)
1- 194 (parkign light)
1- 9007 (headlight)

Hope that helps you.

Eric

expo5.0-

I did your light coat of silver paint thing, and at firts i was highly pleased. but, now that i've drove around for a whole night, it seems that my clear corner lenses are all fogged up now...did this happen to you? i dunno if it's from the paint getting hot?

eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no, that didn't happen at all in fact that pic up there is from after i did it i'm sorry man if the paint is what caused it. was there anything else that could have done it? or are you sure that this was the 'cause? maybe i should have looked at the type of paint i used and told you exactly what i used perhaps the paint responded differently. i feel bad if i messed your truck up at all so make sure to post any questions and any fixes so i can help make it right.

btw- here in phoenix it gets as hot as anywhere and i haven't had any problems with heat affecting the paint. that seems to be most peoples concern with this mod, and it shouldn't be one if you use the right paint. next time i go to my uncles (where i keep my stuff) i will check exactly what kind of paint i used that has put up with the heat for 6 months now.

Back